OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Removing ff3 to clean gun and check base screws.

Started by BottomLand54, March 04, 2017, 10:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BottomLand54

OK this is the first time ever using the ff3 I have 2 of them mounted on 2 different guns. Anyways while cleaning guns tonight after getting both guns dialed in to my OCD standard, they needed a good bath so I cleaned them very well, total disasembly anyways I decided to check base screws to make sure they were tight and of course they were not so I removed my ff3 off of mounts to tighten base screws and then reinstalled them. They were not very loose but they needed to be snugged up! So after all the rant my question is.........Will I have any trouble with sight being off or do they stay true? Never messed with red dots till now. Thanks

backwater

In my opinion, if they only needed to be snugged up they are probably fine....probably.    I use a dot of blue Locktite on all my scope and base screws and have never had one come loose.  The only way to know for sure is to test fire them.   

MickT

If you removed the optic you need to re zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BottomLand54

Quote from: MickT on March 05, 2017, 07:55:35 AM
If you removed the optic you need to re zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ahhh I hope not I removed em made sure bases snugged and put right back on in exact slot and everything I sure hope your wrong lol. I have spent so much time and money getting it right. Just wanted to do a thorough check through and cleaning it's not a scope that could move in rings so I figured it would stay true since it's mounted exactly back the way it was with no room for error. Guess I need shoot em both at 20 if there good just leave em alone.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BottomLand54

OK 20 guage stayed perfect, just got home from church shooting both guns onto the 12 guage now to see if it stayed dialed in.

BottomLand54

12 guage is good, thanks guys I was concerned so I dirtied my very clean guns up again and cleaned them again. I learned that if you remove ff3 they will stay in sync if you mount them exactly where you removed them. Lesson learned also learned that my guns shoot better with dirty barrels best pattern was 3rd shot out of both guns. So I didn't do a thorough cleaning(kills my OCD)!

backwater

That's good to know.    Guess it makes sense.  My understanding is the previous model, the FF2, had to be removed to change  the battery.  Look into the blue Loctite.   Very good product for small screws.  I use the 242 but I believe there's another one for even smaller screws.

BottomLand54

Quote from: backwater on March 05, 2017, 07:09:36 PM
That's good to know.    Guess it makes sense.  My understanding is the previous model, the FF2, had to be removed to change  the battery.  Look into the blue Loctite.   Very good product for small screws.  I use the 242 but I believe there's another one for even smaller screws.
Thank you backwater. I thought about locktite but I do.not want to take a chance and remove it again I had done allot shooting with guns with heavy loads that's reason for a little looseness is that's a word lol. Maybe after season I will year down clean and reinstall with locktite that stuff works great especially the blue for small stuff like you mentioned. I am glad it stayed true so I didn't have to do allot more shooting. I am ready for a bird now lol.