turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Cabelas or Ol Tom Vest ? - Opinons wanted

Started by 870BkWht, January 31, 2017, 01:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

So I'm contemplating on buying a new vest with some Cabela's gift cards and Ive narrowed it down to the Ol Tom Time and Motion vest or the Cabela's Tac Tatr II. 

Ive read the reviews and you cant believe all you read because some of the reviews are from people who hadn't used the vests at the time of writing or they just complained about not having shell loops. 

Gimme your honest opinions between the 2 vest for those of you who have either and have used them.  And..... GO!

Marc

I have the Cabela's vest, and my main motivation for the purchase was that I am a small guy (at least compared to most turkey hunters apparently), and could not find a vest that did not fit me like mumu dress.

I have looked at and tried on a bunch of vests, and really like the way that the Cabela's vest is organized, and the durability of the vest.  Mine is the Tat'r I though.  The seat cushion is comfortable and convenient, and even on a smaller vest the game pouch is big enough to put a dead bird in.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

dejake

I have the Cabelas Tatr2, and I don't like it a little bit.  I don't care for the layout, or the straps to close the front.  I found a a vest at Walmart for $50 that I like much more.  Don't know anything about the Ol Tom.

bbcoach

Take a look at the ALPZ Grand Slam at Midway if you are considering the Tactical Tatr.  The Alpz is on sale and is similar to the Tatr.

EZ

After having to retire my Duxbak Grandslam vest a few years back, I had to find a new one. Being more of a run-n-gun type hunter, I settled on a Cabelas TT ll w/o the "kickstand". I actually really like it. For me, it's laid out pretty well. The one thing I wish were different is the location of the box call pocket and that it only holds a short box. Otherwise, I think it was very well thought out. The seat system is great.

Jroddc

rbreedi1

Ive got the Cabela's Super Tat'r III, used it last spring and was happy with it.. lightweight, layout is great, seat is comfortable.. I would recommend it. I don't see it on their website yet but should have it by spring.
Thunder Ridge Totes

kjnengr

I bought a Tactical Tat'r II because I hunt in some warm areas and I wanted a vest that was open up top.  I do like the layout and it holds what I need.  I have never tried the Ol' Tom so I can't help you there.

870BkWht

For those of you who have cast your vote for the Cabelas Tac Tatr, what can you tell me about sizing.  I wear a 3X T shirt, so I would be purchasing a 2xl/3xl size listed on their website.  Is it pretty accurate on the sizing, and is the vest somewhat adjustable?

kjnengr

The vest is definitely adjustable.  I find that most turkey vests run a little large.  I would guess that the 2xl/3xl would work for you.

FL-Boss

I have a few Ol Tom vests.  They are light, lean and mean for those minimalist hunters.  I like it a lot, however when I get a new one I always bring straight to my Taylor to get all the connection points triple  stitched.  That can sometimes be a weak point.

Gooserbat

I have owned both Ol' Tom and cabelas vest.  I still have the cabelas and not the ol'Tom. Cabelas just imho is an all around better vest. The only thing the ol'Tom has over the other is it's quite a bit lighter. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Bayou Gold

Bought a Tat'r 2 last season and loved it....so much that upon hearing rumors that Bass Pro was buying Cabelas, I purchased a back up in case it was discontinued

Bowguy

I like the Cabelas better but both vests are too thin material wise for my liking.

davisd9

Love my ibeam. Looked at the cablea vests and they seem to be decent, but just was not what I was looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer