turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which should I hunt with?

Started by Jerseygti337, January 29, 2017, 01:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerseygti337

I picked up a dedicated turkey gun this year and patterned with long beard 5's and 6's.  which of these looks better to you guys and should I experiment with other chokes/shells?
The gun is an 870 super mag with the shurshot stock and a Carlson ported .665 choke both shots at 40 yards

MK M GOBL

Don't mean to make it sound bad but if the orange dot is your aim point I would look at fixing that first...

MK M GOBL

Jerseygti337

Yea the orange was my point of aim however the gun has adjustable sights and I didn't have an Allen wrench while at the range but that should be an easy fix.

Greg Massey

I would first fix the sights with some light load shells at 15 - 20 yards...no way we can give you a ans. on which one to hunt with until you get POI on center...

Jerseygti337

I'll adjust the sights and try again, it seemed a little counter productive to do it first since the #5 shot left high and the #6 shot straight low. I figured it would work to find the better pattern then adjust the sights to the load.

MK M GOBL

Okay other than the POI issue, I have just gone with 5's for turkey hunting, it is just in my head giving me the best mix in pellet count and pellet performance.

I will say when I started turkey hunting I was all about ammo, choke, patterns and spent way too much time at it because it was what was being taught  to me...

What I have learned is how to kill birds close and have been for 20+ years, real close and personal. With that said...

I have never found a turkey load or turkey choke that wouldn't kill a bird at "my" range. Not even a need to shoot at 40 yards when you learn to call them close, kill them with the shotgun in the 15-17 yard range and birds are just dead. Bow hunts are even closer.

Also found out in my range a scope makes all the difference.

MK M GOBL

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: MK M GOBL on January 29, 2017, 02:29:59 PM
Okay other than the POI issue, I have just gone with 5's for turkey hunting, it is just in my head giving me the best mix in pellet count and pellet performance.

I will say when I started turkey hunting I was all about ammo, choke, patterns and spent way too much time at it because it was what was being taught  to me...

What I have learned is how to kill birds close and have been for 20+ years, real close and personal. With that said...

I have never found a turkey load or turkey choke that wouldn't kill a bird at "my" range. Not even a need to shoot at 40 yards when you learn to call them close, kill them with the shotgun in the 15-17 yard range and birds are just dead. Bow hunts are even closer.

Also found out in my range a scope makes all the difference.

MK M GOBL
x2 other than I'd go with the #6s . I like more pellets for the way I hunt. I try calling in close as I can.

dirt road ninja

I'd try another choke, both patterns have holes that I wouldn't be comfortable with.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 29, 2017, 04:05:14 PM
I'd try another choke, both patterns have holes that I wouldn't be comfortable with.
^ This

Quote from: Jerseygti337 on January 29, 2017, 02:10:25 PM
I'll adjust the sights and try again, it seemed a little counter productive to do it first since the #5 shot left high and the #6 shot straight low. I figured it would work to find the better pattern then adjust the sights to the load.
I'm in total agreement with you on this one as well. Not real sure why one couldn't look at the pattern and see which is better based on where it landed on paper. POA/POI is just something that we have to deal with in shotguns. Find the pattern first, adjust second. I've always shot a large piece of paper, counted the holes in the densest spot and then moved the sights using cheaper shells. I'd still look into another choke first though. So long as there's not a gap larger than 1"-1.25", it's game on. Anything larger than that, time to back up and try again.

Bowguy

Quote from: wvmntnhick on January 29, 2017, 04:56:35 PM
Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 29, 2017, 04:05:14 PM
^ This

Quote from: Jerseygti337 on January 29, 2017, 02:10:25 PM
I'm in total agreement with you on this one as well. Not real sure why one couldn't look at the pattern and see which is better based on where it landed on paper. POA/POI is just something that we have to deal with in shotguns. Find the pattern first, adjust second. I've always shot a large piece of paper, counted the holes in the densest spot and then moved the sights using cheaper shells. I'd still look into another choke first though. So long as there's not a gap larger than 1"-1.25", it's game on. Anything larger than that, time to back up and try again.
All good advice. Get the best pattern than adjust. Dif chokes or loads should help. Longbeards may not be the best patterning load for a newer turkey hunter. Just something to think about. If a bird is 15-20 yards away will the pattern hit em or will missing in the heat of the moment close range be counterproductive to any advantages at longer range?
My gun set up for longbeards likes .675 Briley chokes best when using the 1-7/8 oz loads. .665 Indian Creek when using the 1-3/4 oz load

Jerseygti337

Thanks for the replies, I guess it's time to start researching chokes now.

WisTurk

If I can throw something else into the mix here, also check the cleanliness of your barrell/choke.  Clark from allaboutshooting recommends a deep clean.  I know from personal experience with my Mossberg 500 it doesn't pattern the best right after a deep cleaned barrel or a very dirty one either.  It hits its sweet spot after a couple of shots from a deep cleaned barrel.  Just food for thought on what else can effect your pattern.

Philippe

As the others have stated first and foremost get that barrel deep cleaned and polished, then get yourself something like a Jelly Head .660 or .665, Sumtoy, or Truglo SSX. Then redial in your pattern and that shotgun will really shine with those shells.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Philippe on January 30, 2017, 02:20:06 AM
As the others have stated first and foremost get that barrel deep cleaned and polished, then get yourself something like a Jelly Head .660 or .665, Sumtoy, or Truglo SSX. Then redial in your pattern and that shotgun will really shine with those shells.

Agreed, although I am not sold on the deep cleaning. Deep cleaned mine expecting marked improvement but it never happened.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Jerseygti337

Thanks for all the replies.  I picked up an original Jellyhead 660 to try once the weather gets a little warmer and I already deep cleaned the barrel.  Ive been debating polishing it or not since I read it can go either good or bad.