OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Told myself I wouldn't gripe, but...

Started by lking, April 06, 2011, 09:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lking

I've been so anxious to shoot the gun and the snow finally melted.  Granted, the temps were not ideal at a whopping 43 degrees, but that's as warm as it has been here in Lord knows how long.  I told myself I wouldn't complain about the new Hevi 7's (3x2x7's) but I was not impressed.  Not at all.

Started at 20 yards and shredded the paper with my Win 1300, 28''bbl with a PG .670.  Polished.  Last year I was putting up just under 250 with that combo at 40.

Backed off to 30 and things were decent, but not close to last year with 300 hits in 10.  Fired again with a dirty barrel and was down to 230.

Then the fit really hit the shan.  After snaking the barrel, backed off to 40 yards, taped, and put up a whopping 178 in 10.  I looked at my records which indicated that was a tad higher than my 6's were doing last year. :P

Anyway, Hevi 3x2x7's with the lot number 200806 purchased at Cabelas nearly 3 months ago have seemingly been messed with.

BigPeck215

sounds like a dirty choke to me, a bore snake is not sufficient enough to clean a choke thorough enough, i always run a copper brush through my choke a couple of times before i run a bore snake thru the barrel 

lking

I'm quite sure if I'd have fired clean at 40 my numbers would probably reach the low 200's.  However, based on experience, I don't think they'd be in the mid 200's.  Not sure that a brush would make a 70 pellet difference, but could.  I will brush and fire initially at 40.

lking

The more I think about it, BigPeck, the more I think you're right.  Dirty barrel and choke with cold temps could account for a 70 pellet drop. 

VAHUNTER

the PG does collect a lot of wad material. i have been amazed at the plastic that i get out of mine after 1 shot.
but i agree your #'s still are not what they should be.
Good things come to those who wait

lking

Go with gut feeling.  Deep cleaned the barrel and the choke.  Cleaned the hell out of the ports and all.  Refired at a taped 40.  Put up a 185.  This combo last year was putting up 245.  The only variable in the equation is the Hevi 3x2x7's.  Very sad, indeed. :(

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

lking

Well, at least I found a consistent part.  Last year, the JH .660 was always 40 pellets lower than the PG .670.  Just rescrubbed and fired the JH.  157 in 10 at 40 with the same lot of hevi 7's 3 inch.    About 30 pellets lower than the PG.  I've fired enough to know now, all things clean, that this lot of 200806 in 3" is performing subpar to where it was last year.  About 60 pellets subpar.  Hopefully I've helped someone with my own dismay. ;D