turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

patterned for the first time

Started by TauntoHawk, April 06, 2011, 08:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

ok so i hit the range to pattern my turkey gun for the first time today, I was raised on just throwing any #6s in the shotgun and going turkey hunting. my dad has never patterned a gun, very possible cause for my he has missed probably as many turkeys as he's killed.

today was kinda bummy weather but it was suppose to be nice turned out not to be..
50* light rain showers, 15mph winds maybe a little more

I have a 870, 21in barrel and a 0.665 jelly

I shot both hevi blend 5,6,7
and hevi #7's

the range I went to was set at 26yds and 51yds so its not the normal 20-40 you guys pattern at.
I shot at the turkey head and neck targets
26yds - 3"-2oz Heavy blend
123 hits in the head and neck, didnt count 10" circle
26yds - 3"-2oz heavy #7s
137 hits, again didnt count 10" circle

51yds 3" -2oz Heavy blend
26 hits head and neck, 60 hits 10" circle
51yds 3"-2oz Heavy #7s
48 hits head and neck, 104 hits 10" circle

Is that acceptable patterns and hit% with 3" heavy shells and .665 choke?
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

neal

Quote from: hunttherut on April 06, 2011, 08:52:44 PM
I would think your numbers should be much higher at the 26 yd mark.  Did you draw circle around the densest part of pattern for your 10" circle?

I don't think he counted the 10" circle just the hits in the head and neck.

Yes I would say you have a killer, and will do just fine, I'm sure there is some other options for you to try but IMO hunt it and kill some birds!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

TauntoHawk

Im going to clean the gun good and wait for better weather and give an actual 40yd test.

gun should perform well this year and maybe next year I can try another choke or two but I hate to turn this into a how far can a kill the bird at game, I mean I crushed the targets at 26yds and they both should thump birds at 40 easy.

I mean once we talk about kill patterns at 55 and 60 with new ammo and chokes I cant think of a single season that wouldnt  have ended earlier with that type of range. its kind of like archery where one of the fundamentals of the game is close proximity to the prey
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>