OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lead Mystery Half-Way Solved

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, April 06, 2011, 07:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

After reading all the threads where the lot numbers of Hevi13 were mentioned, it got me thinking about something that perplexed me this year.

Last year, with my 3" 870, 28" barrel, Indian Creek .665 choke, and 3" Win Sup HV #5's, I shot 116 in 10" at 40 Yards, and was impressed.  This year, I got 90 in 10" at 40 Yards, with the same setup.  90 is still OK, but I lost 26 pellets, or 22.4%.

I remembered that I had bought a pile of the 3" Win Sup HV #5's, and decided to check the lot numbers.  Out of 7 unopened 10 shell boxes, 6 boxes are the same lot number, and 1 box is a different lot number.  Plus I have a half a box of who knows what lot number, because I had opened 2 boxes of the HV #5's, and I didn't keep the boxes.  Out of 9 original boxes, I have 7 1/2 boxes left, and I don't know which lot number shot 116 with #5's last year.

Dang ammo companies!!!

jakesdad

I've had similar experiences with the win hv.still get more than adequate killing #'s,but have past targets where i've shot much better patterns than some of the newer stuff I have.I still plan on using lead in the 12 for sure and probably the 20,but may shoot the older rem hevi shot in the 20.I like everything 30 and under for me,so lead it is.But I agree.......WHY CANT YOU AMMO GUYS LEAVE WELL ENUFF ALONE!!!!!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Hay Flats

Yep that was my go to load, I had some old Winchester HV 5's from around 2001 and they shot very good numbers when I ran out  I grabbed another box from the local shop and hit the patterning board my numbers dropped by about a third with the new box, I never shot them again I tried the 2oz load as well and could not touch those earlier shells so I dumped the Winchester and have jumped on the Hevi-13 ever since and now I'm riding the Environmetals roller coaster >:( but if they keep screwing around I will leave them to and roll my own for me and all my buddies.

Kurt

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteWHY CANT YOU AMMO GUYS LEAVE WELL ENUFF ALONE!!!!!

Gotta figure out ways to squeeze an extra few pennies out of each box of shells, to improve the bottom line and make that Christmas bonus.  Some executive probably thinks that 99% of customers will never complain, and may not even notice the difference.  Well, the paper don't lie.

After I shot some good Lead patterns last year, I went and picked up a box or two of the #5's per week at the local Wal-Mart.  It never crossed my mind to worry about the lot numbers.  They were all bought the same year, at the same store.  This is a bunch of crap.

stick bow

I guess I need to get off the computer and go check the lot number on my good box of lead 6's.  :character0029:

archery1

I WISH I COULD FIND SOMEONE IN PA TO LOAD ME SOME TSS .. I WOULD BUY  SOME OF THE MATERIALS BUT ITS NOT WORTH IT,, BUYING ALL THE MATERIALS CAUSE I WOULD ONLY USE THE LOADS FOR TURKEY HUNTING ANYWAY.. SO I GUESS I AM ON THIS ROLLERCOASTER WITH EVERYONE ELSE????????
Take a kid hunting