OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I'm Not Man Enough

Started by SinGin, April 06, 2011, 05:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwnforce

I shot my Moss 500 last week...fed her some heavy 5's for the first time first shot split my lip...Finished shooting a few boxes and left bloody....Awesome!! :you_rock:

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: lmbhngr on April 06, 2011, 08:40:00 PM
Good luck carrying the lead sled out in the woods with ya!! ;D :lol:

You wouldn't believe the amount of crap my buddy brings with him into the woods!!  So a led sled is almost not a strecth for him.   :lol:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Galvin900

I would not suggest a lead sled for the woods. Turkey hunting is usually a one shot hunt and the excitement is so good you will not notice the recoil when a nice gobbler is in front of you. On the other hand, trying to pattern a gun at the range will wear your shoulder out in a hurry. Use it there for sure!

PS for those of you looking to save $$$ when getting a lead sled. I learned the hard way that enough lead to weight down a lead sled cost as much or more than the sled itself. I contacted a buddy who runs a tire store and he sold me lead tire weights 200 lbs for $20.00. You can also usually find Chromite (Hevi) sand at a foundry that is twice as heavy as play sand too. Otherwise look forward to $150.00 to 200 bucks for lead shot.

strutstopper

A few years ago I shot 23 of the Winchester HV 3 1/2s out of my 870 (no lead sled) in one day. I was trying to decide what choke I wanted to hunt with,what size shot I needed to use, and then had to sight my scope in for the shell and choke I decided on. After all that shooting my cheap tasco went fuzzy and you couldnt even see the reticle.... I have since purchased a lead sled and a better scope. I use homemade sand bags in my lead sled.

VAHUNTER

nothing like a hard kicking gun to make you feel alive !!!!
Good things come to those who wait

lmbhngr

Turkey in front of me or not I would have the thought of getting kicked by a mule everytime I pulled the trigger!

bird

As said before.... Get a lead sled and two 5lb. ankle weights to set on the sled.  The key to the lead sled is to "not" put too much weight on it.  The sled is a life saver brother!

bird

Mag10

Quote from: bird on April 06, 2011, 10:27:10 PM
As said before.... Get a lead sled and two 5lb. ankle weights to set on the sled.  The key to the lead sled is to "not" put too much weight on it.  The sled is a life saver brother!

bird

Bird is right,  I use a bag of shot that is about half full,  it takes alot of the kick but your shoulder still takes some and the load.  the gun stock has to move some,  if you put the stock on a block wall and shoot there is no give and it may crack it.

trkehunr93

Sims Limbsaver and Beartooth=not curling up in fetal postition

wisconsinteacher

I have a Knoxx Stock and a Limbsaver on my 870 SM and it is a dream to shoot.  I also added the powerpack cheek raiser thing a ma bobber on it and it really helps. 

SinGin

Good news everyone, I finally got all the feeling back in my left index finger. I'm glad I'm not the only one getting my butt kicked at the range. My birthday is Sunday, so if anyone wants to get me a lead sled that would be great. Then I can stop my man crying. :z-guntootsmiley:

West Augusta

I just got back from shooting. 8 rounds of various 3.5", no lead sled, no towel, just a heavy denim jacket and a limb saver pad. No blue shoulder, no pain other than my trigger finger where the B-Square mount caught it. 265 in 10 at 40 with Hevi Mag Blends 5,6,7's. Bring on the turkeys.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

snapper1982

worst gun i ever touched off was a mossy 835 with 22 inch barrel and one of those real little synthetic stocks.. fired 5 times with the 3.5 win hv's and on the 5th shot it cracked my nose.. told my buddy if he wanted it any better to do it him self. he shot it one time. and never shot a turkey that year and then sold the gun.

paboxcall

Quote from: bbcoach on April 06, 2011, 05:51:45 PM
ONE WORD------------------------------------LIMBSAVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That helps, A LOT! 

Patterning my 1300 a couple of years ago, I had my right thumb too far down the top of the pistol grip of the stock.  When that gun went off with the Winchester load in it, the muzzle jump put the big knuckle of my thumb right into the bridge of my nose.

I can't believe it didn't break, the way it hurt...Now that thumb always rides way up high toward the receiver.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

paboxcall

Quote from: snapper1982 on April 09, 2011, 10:30:05 PM
worst gun i ever touched off was a mossy 835 with 22 inch barrel and one of those real little synthetic stocks.. fired 5 times with the 3.5 win hv's and on the 5th shot it cracked my nose.. told my buddy if he wanted it any better to do it him self. he shot it one time. and never shot a turkey that year and then sold the gun.

I will give you that -- the 835 is mean.  But it doesn't come close to the NEF single shot they sold about 15 years ago when the 12 ga. 3.5" first hit the scene for turkeys.  Maybe you guys remember it -- It was dipped in the old Mossy Oak Bottomland camo, and weighed about 6 pounds, maybe less.  It did not have the heavy 10 ga. barrel on it.  A dream to carry, but hell to shoot.

I shot that thing 4 times with Winchester Supreme 3.5" #6 to try and get it to pattern.  I was black and blue to the sternum, and down my right arm almost to the elbow.  Traded it for a Mossy 500 after that first year.  I really miss carrying it, but do not miss shooting that miserable gun.  A feel bad for the guy who has it today...
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer