turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

T/C ENCORE shell length ?

Started by 1iagobblergetter, April 06, 2011, 04:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

Found out while patterning my guns that my T/C shoots 3.5 in shells. I didn't think they would even accept a 3.5 shell. I talked to T/C asking them whether or not a guy could shoot 3.5s and they said something like it would cause more pressure and seemed kinda puzzled that they would drop in like they were made for them and did tell me NOT TO SHOOT THEM. I HAVE TO HEED THE WARNING THEY GAVE,but just wondering what the difference would be other than a .25 oz shot and a longer wad. The barrel looks larger diameter than most 12g would it be a forcing cone issue or something else?

Hognutz

They have a 3'' chamber. You don't shoot a 3 1/2 '' shell out of a 3''chamber, as you don't shoot a 3'' shell out of a 2 3/4'' chamber. Will they fit? Of course they will. Will they blow your gun up, along with your head? Probably sooner than later. Heed their warning..Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

1iagobblergetter

Understandable!!! What I was trying to ask is what makes a 2.75 a 2.75 a 3in. a 3in. and a 3.5 a 3.5? Is it testing,barrel design,forcing cones,etc???

Hognutz

It is the length of the chamber. The chambers are made to specific lengths to accommodate the shell to be used in that specific barrel.The area of the gun that is thicker than the barrel itself. Ever notice that the barrel is thicker at the action end and tapers down as it goes to the choke end? The chamber is thicker to withstand the pressure of a shell going off.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

tactikel

A 2.75" chamber will be long enough to hold a fired shell. A crimped unfired 3" shell will be less than 2.75" in length and will chamber easily. However when fired the mouth of the case will unfold past the chamber into the bore, obstructing it. Pressures will soar to dangerous levels. The same applies to 3.5" fired in a 3" chamber. You have been very lucky.

Galvin900

I have a TC Encore and was considering buying the 12 barrel for it. Once I saw it was only for 3 inch shells and cost 300 plus, I went to gunbroker and spent 200.00 for a like new Mossy 835 that would shoot the 3.5, and according to encore reviews some folks have had trouble getting the shotgun barrel to pattern well.
The encore in an incredible gun, one of my favorites. But for turkey hunting I'll be using the Mossy. Plus the encore is a one shot gun, Mossy will pump.

Use that encore on big game!

TScottW99

Quote from: Galvin900 on April 06, 2011, 09:14:51 PM
I have a TC Encore and was considering buying the 12 barrel for it. Once I saw it was only for 3 inch shells and cost 300 plus, I went to gunbroker and spent 200.00 for a like new Mossy 835 that would shoot the 3.5, and according to encore reviews some folks have had trouble getting the shotgun barrel to pattern well.
The encore in an incredible gun, one of my favorites. But for turkey hunting I'll be using the Mossy. Plus the encore is a one shot gun, Mossy will pump.

Use that encore on big game!

My Encore shoots just fine.  Plus it is a heck of a lot shorter then a pump, no action.  Who needs more then one shot  ;D

I used to own an 835, it was a single shot that weighed too much  :P
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

X-Tennessean

I like the Encore for it's weight and length but man those are some shoulder stomping dude's !!!!!!! I helped a friend get his to pattern which was a little difficult. He settled for the H-13 3-2-6, it was a decent pattern but I don't know If I could handle much of the abuse they give !! Call me a wimp but man oh man a 835 has nothing on the Encore for recoil ! lol

Mag10

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on April 06, 2011, 05:06:55 PM
Understandable!!! What I was trying to ask is what makes a 2.75 a 2.75 a 3in. a 3in. and a 3.5 a 3.5? Is it testing,barrel design,forcing cones,etc???

If I'm right the 3.5" chamber and shells have a higher max. pressure than the 3"

RutStrut

I bought the T/C last year because of the weight, feel and it was just seemed perfect. Finally got rid of my almost new T/C encore Turkey last week.  Was asking $500 at the local shop and after 6 weeks of no activity I traded it for a sweet little browning BL-22.  One of the Best decision I have ever made, No Way was I ever going to shoot the T/C again with Turkey loads.  The new Maxus is way easier on the shoulder.