turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1st Trumpet

Started by Daddy rat, January 10, 2017, 05:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy rat

Looking for my 1st trumpet... looking at $100 bucks or less. Who's  would you recommend? Thanks

Terry

Contact AGE, Crawdad, or Brian Mero and see what they can do for you at that price.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

davisd9

Save some money to add with it. Even just 25-50 bucks. Then get a trumpet from a call maker that had a bit of a name and if it is not for you then you should be able to get your money back.

For $125 you can get a Natural Addiction with a buffalo horn or $150 you can get a Billy Buice Field grade.

A good trumpet makes the learning curve much easier when trying to learn.

Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Mero is a good one, though no personal experience. His calls are pretty and the ones I have sound great. Probably can get your money back with him.

No experience with AGE other than seeing them and they look great.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

outdoors

GOOD TO HEAR
FROM WHAT I EXPERIENCED OF ALL THE TRUMPS I BOUGHT
GET THE BEST YOU CAN AFFORD , BECOUSE IF YOU CANT LEARN TO PLAY
THE CALL YOU CAN SELL IT FOR WHAT YOU HAVE INVESTED .......
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

West Augusta

Any of the above make great trumpets.  Add Del Crow,  Mudpuppi, Matt McLain, Ernie Fetters to that list.
As stated above, a good trumpet makes learning easier.  Also, watch YouTube videos, contact Boatpaddle.  He helped me.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Gawhitaker

Mr Robert "Crawdad" on this site makes a quality trumpet in the price range your looking for

KentuckyHeadhunter

You'll have ten before you find what you like.  Definitely take the advice posted above.  I don't have one of Anthony Ellis (yet), but I can vouch for Brian Mero. Great calls.  Don't overlook Ralph Permar.  His website has available calls.  His quill call is only $85 and sounds great! (and it's a Permar).  Just some options.  You will love trumpets or you will sell them off.  I did both and came back to the dark side.  I won't hunt without one. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Daddy rat

Thanks for information... looks like I'm gonna move to $150 to $200 range

davisd9

If you have that budget to spend now and you are close enough then you should come to Unicoi.  You can try multiple trumpets from different makers and have that one on one talk about what you are looking for and some playing tips.  If you are not close enough or cannot come I recommend calling Mr. Billy Buice to talk it over with him or contact Savduck on the forum.  Both of these calls are very user friendly and air draw is easy.  You should be able to get your money back on both.  Mr. Buice offers the change out mouthpieces so that is an advantage as well.  I am sure there will be other good suggestions, but these are two makers I have had experiences with, great experiences at that.  Good luck!

Daddy rat

Wish I could but it's 16 hr round trip... never been to NWTF,  wonder if any of them will be there?

Terry

Sent you a PM. I have a Natural Addiction (Savduck) trumpet I'll sell you. It's like new

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Cohutta Strutter

All good suggestions here. I can vouch for Anthony Ellis (AGE) trumpets. I have a couple of his and they are as easy drawing and controllable as any I own and I have a few more from some top makers. Good luck on your decision.
Anybody seen America lately?

davisd9

Contact KPCalls on here as well! Kenny makes a great call. I need to get one from him!

1iagobblergetter

Trumpets are addictive...I started at one years ago and don't even want to count how many I've acquired over the years. Ralph Permar makes some great Trumpets in your price range. I'd start with his model 1940 it plays real easy,but you can't go wrong with any of his.