OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How dry does wood need to be?

Started by southern_leo, January 23, 2017, 06:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southern_leo

I found a good source of wood that is kiln dried, but the man who I bought from stores it in a old barn without doors. He said when it comes from the kiln it's between 6-8% moisture, but once sitting in the open barn he estimated the wood was around 12%. He attempted to use his meter but it was dead. I have a meter that's supposed to arrive today. My question is, what is the acceptable moisture number to turn a pot call and striker? I know you want as low as possible, but what's a safe number to work with?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

misfire

6-8% is ideal, but depending on your climate, it may be hard to maintain that. Most of mine is in the 6-10% range. One thing I do like to do when getting a new piece of wood is to let it acclimate in my shop for a week or ten days. That allows me to watch it to ensure it isn't warping or cupping
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

southern_leo

Quote from: misfire on January 23, 2017, 08:38:17 PM
6-8% is ideal, but depending on your climate, it may be hard to maintain that. Most of mine is in the 6-10% range. One thing I do like to do when getting a new piece of wood is to let it acclimate in my shop for a week or ten days. That allows me to watch it to ensure it isn't warping or cupping
Exactly the answer I was looking for that you

southern_leo

**sorry for the typo meant THANK YOU

misfire

Haha, no worries, my second language is "cop"
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

BOB_HARWELL

Do you know that there are 2 moisture contents in wood? Sap moisture & water moisture. You want the sap moisture 10% or lower. Water moisture ,humidity, is absorbed from the air. In the s. east moisture will usually average about 12%.

Bob

southern_leo

Quote from: BOB_HARWELL on January 24, 2017, 07:10:16 PM
Do you know that there are 2 moisture contents in wood? Sap moisture & water moisture. You want the sap moisture 10% or lower. Water moisture ,humidity, is absorbed from the air. In the s. east moisture will usually average about 12%.

Bob

Interesting. Will the meter read a totality or only water moisture?

BOB_HARWELL

A Moisture meter doesn't know the difference, it reads moisture. Fresh cut wood will be full of sap, almost no water content. As the sap evaporates air moisture will enter the pores of the wood. If you don't know anything about humidity, come to Columbia, S.C. in July or August & you can drink a glass of air with or with out ice. 

Bob