North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Got 2 Hook's locator calls, one really quiet

Started by Timmer, April 06, 2011, 03:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timmer

Hey guys,

I had some really cheap locator calls and decided to spend some money on some good ones.  Based on feedback I got two new Hook's locator calls.  I got the Harrison Hoot'n Stick owl and the Harrison Crow, both in Osage wood.  They are fantastically easy to use and the crow is super loud.  The owl, however, is darn quiet.  I'm sure the fact that it only has two little holes on the end contributes to it having good sound, but I question whether it will be loud enough to be effective.  

Anyone have an opinion on whether they tend to run quiet or if it's a concern with mine?
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

sugarray

I had this same thought, then I tried it out on a quiet morning in the woods.  The sound carries very well.  You will be pleased in the woods, I think anyway.  I know I am.

stinkpickle

Ain't nuthin' that one of these and some strategically placed duct tape won't fix...

;)

shad309

Quote from: sugarray on April 06, 2011, 03:27:43 PM
I had this same thought, then I tried it out on a quiet morning in the woods.  The sound carries very well.  You will be pleased in the woods, I think anyway.  I know I am.

X2
At first light that is one loud Hoot'n Stick!!!

lohaus

I used mine in the woods this morning for the first time.  I was just going to post about how pleased I am with mine.  I had a Primos plastic owl call and never got a response with that thing.  First time out in the woods with my Hooks owl call,  I used it and heard a gobble a good 1/3 mile plus away.  I used it again as we closed the space and the same thing happened.

neal

Its the low tone that carries so well, it is amazing how far it carries. It is as real sounding as you can get unless our part owl.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.