turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Browning Silver

Started by McGoose, April 06, 2011, 02:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGoose

This is my second year turkey hunting. Last year I killed two toms one at 35-40 yards and one at 10 yards. Both were taken with a Browning Silver 12 gauge with a Strait Heat choke tube. I don't know if it was a fluke, but from what I read a Strait Heat choke tube doesn't have a very tight pattern. I'm thinking of getting something with a tighter pattern this year and was looking at the Undertaker. Anyone have reviews of this choke or would like to suggest sticking with the Strait heat or another brand?

sugarray

I would first shoot it at 40 yds, at a great big piece of paper 3 ft x 3 ft to see #1 if you are hitting where you aim, which looks like you are, and to #2 see what your pattern is.  Shoot first then draw your 10" circle around the most dense part of the pattern.  Count the holes.  If you are getting 80-100 then you are good to go.  Now, this may not be what you are looking for, but we can help you get there.

What is the current constriction of the choke you are using?

McGoose

I can't find anywhere that lists what the Strait Heat choke tubes constriction is. I know it is a wad stripper if that helps? I think I'm gonna move away from the Strait heat choke tube. So basically would you guys recommend the Undertaker or another brand? I like using Winchester Turkey Load #5's if that helps.

sugarray

The #5 would make me think a little more open tube.  I would try the Primos Tight Wad before the Undertaker, but it might be worth it.  Only way to know is to shoot.  You will gain a lot by shooting #6 as well.  Before you buy anything, I would shoot first and see what your pattern is like, then you will know if you need to go tighter or more open.

sugarray

I just got off the phone with the fine folks there at Foiles Migrators.  When I asked Sue, she stated that whoever, doesn't give out that information, when I asked about choke constriction.  I asked if I could talk to this guy and he was out of the office.

So, for that $60 choke you cannot find out the choke constriction because it is top secret information.  Kind of funny.

So, I would still shoot it and see if you are pleased.  It is a waterfowl company so I would bet the constriction is not optimal for turkey hunting.  The Undertaker would be an improvement, but saving up for a Jelly Head, Pure Gold, Indian Creek, Rhino, would be a better choice in my opinion.

goblr77

Find a pair of dial calipers and check the exit diameter.

McGoose

Thanks for looking into that and the help. I think I'm gonna go with a Jellyhead or a Undertaker. The Undertaker would be easier on the wallet but the Jellyhead sounds like I would be happier with. Lots of thinking to do, if anyone has a Browning Silver and would like to chime in it would be appreciated?

sugarray

Try a search above with Browning silver and see what you come up with. Also, change your topic to browning silver.

mmusso

FWIW, my Undertaker out patterned my JH in just about everything I shot through my Nova numbers wise, but the JH gave me more evenly spread patterns. For $15 its not a bad choke to try out.

McGoose

This is going to sound stupid but what is a tighter constriction  .670 or .570?

davisd9

The smaller number means a smaller hole which means tighter constriction.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

X-Tennessean

Quote from: McGoose on April 06, 2011, 04:06:40 PM
This is going to sound stupid but what is a tighter constriction  .670 or .570?

McGoose I shoot a Win Super X3 and a Browning Silver, they are identical guns.
I have a JH .670 and a IC .665, shooting Nitro's straight 7's I get a tad bit better pattern out of the IC. I also have shot the H-13 7's and they throw nice pattern's as well but not as good as the Nitro's. The JH is not gonna cost as much and for the difference in the numbers IMO would be a good starting point for you IF you want to go with 6 or 7 shot. I would open it up a bit if you are gonna shoot a larger shot size, mine has been polished and forcing cone lengthened. Hope this helps you and good luck !

Quax

Also, a 570 is a 20ga choke.

If ur looking for a cheap good choke, look at Hastings, non-ported. That's what I shoot out of my browning gold.  Find em on gunbroker

McGoose

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to go with a Primos Tightwad with #5 Winchesters(gray box). For some reason I'm more accurate with cheap schells than the more expensive brands. I found this out experimenting with higher dollar loads while duck and goose hunting. Also, I like bigger pellets just in case I miss my mark and hit the bird a little farther back towards the breast. Last year the bird I shot at 35yards only had a couple pellets in his head but the majority of the damage was to the base of his neck and breast. I don't know if I could have gotten away with that with smaller pellets.

SumToy

Put a 675 in it and go kill birds. Had a maxus with blends roll one at 63.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA