Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Picking the right striker for the right pot?

Started by upnorth, April 27, 2016, 06:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhhad25

Where can I go to order Matt McLains strikers?

SteelerFan

Quote from: Bhhad25 on March 20, 2017, 05:14:50 PM
Where can I go to order Matt McLains strikers?

3rd post down in this thread is from Matt. Send him a PM

Ol Yelper

You can PM Matt on here. He's a good guy and will help you out.

upnorth

Does anybody use a hollow tube carbon striker?

kjnengr

I'm no pro, but I have found several strikers that work with my crystal calls. My favorite is diamondwood but I also like purpleheart and yellowheart.

beakbuster10

Quote from: upnorth on March 21, 2017, 05:49:26 PM
Does anybody use a hollow tube carbon striker?
I've got a Yingling carbon striker that runs on everything. My favorite all around striker is probably a Fred Cox tulipwood. It runs on everything. So does a good dymondwood and snakewood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt / PA

Quote from: beakbuster10 on March 21, 2017, 09:25:21 PM

I've got a Yingling carbon striker that runs on everything. My favorite all around striker is probably a Fred Cox tulipwood. It runs on everything. So does a good dymondwood and snakewood.

THAT!  :icon_thumright:  I could run that one on one of my wife's cast iron frying pans and call a turkey in........OK it would be dumb one but you get the point  ;D
Reminding me to get a couple more for when I finally lose the one I have!

Triple B

Quote from: mmclain on April 27, 2016, 07:05:49 PM
For a wood striker on glass  bubinga is excellent

Black locust is a great low cost wood plays on anything

Dymondwood is a favorite for many but the resin will load up in the glass....this is only a problem if you are stage calling and it slips making an odd squeak. 

Expensive strikers can be great and cost of the wood is the $$ factor but when it comes to performance ......pretty wood with humps and bumps all over don't mean crap.

The weight of the striker balance and direction of the grain of the wood are important.  Using The striker should be almost effortless to produce a great tone.  Light pressure or hard.

if your pot call is dull sounding with most strikers there is only so much life a great striker can add to it
Well said Matt.That about says all there is about strikers. Take it from someone that has made 1 or 2 in his call building career.

upnorth

Dtrkyman

Got 2 from Matt Mclain, black locust and iron wood, sound fantastic on my Blodgett slate.  And they look as good as they sound!!!