turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SBE II w/jellyhead and hevi shot #7 shooting high

Started by drakekilla12, April 06, 2011, 12:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drakekilla12

i shot at a jake this past youth season at 50 yrds. i missed. i thought i was dead on him but he ducked and ran off. i didnt pattern my gun but had trouble with it shooting high with duck loads. now my duck loads are dead on or wingshooting in general. should my turkey loads be good or was it a clean miss?  im goint to pattern this weekend and if it is high, what do i need to do to bring the pattern down without a sight? thanks

seth

drakekilla12

and when i mean sight, i mean red dot sight.

thanks

Hognutz

You won't go wrong with a red dot sight. Even if it's not shooting high. Sight it in. Put the red dot on his head. Pull the trigger. Dead bird, everytime.  Mike :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

sugarray

Seth,

Any adjustable sight will suit you well.  I just like a red dot because you don't have to align 2 sights.  I use the Mueller Quick Shot because of the adjustable reticle.  A tube type red dot is nice, but your field of view is very tight.  The Mueller and Burris FF II really open the FOV up.  There are 2 nice reviews in the Optics section, done by yours truly, but has some pics and thoughts from quite a few from here as well.

drakekilla12

i would love to put a red dot on, but i wingshoot so much it would be a constant on and off. i dont want to sight it in agian after every time its been off.  can i avoid that or what?

sugarray

No, you can't, but a good way to go would be to get a Burris Speed Bead.  It is mounted way back and will allow you to wing shoot without taking it off.   Take a look:

http://www.burrisoptics.com/speedbead.html  

An open type red dot, FF II or Mueller Quick Shot, etc, will allow you plenty of FOV to wing shoot.

drakekilla12

i found a solution, i just grabbed a old hiviz sight that slaps on to rib.  i have a ez hit champion sight endorsed by tom knap for duck hunting which was higher than my original front sight that came on sbe 2 from factory. anyways i put on that sight in front of original sight and placed the triangle so the sight is bigger and closer and taller thus bringing down my pattern more if need be.

hookedspur

Quote from: sugarray on April 06, 2011, 01:10:58 PM
Seth,

Any adjustable sight will suit you well.  I just like a red dot because you don't have to align 2 sights.  I use the Mueller Quick Shot because of the adjustable reticle.  A tube type red dot is nice, but your field of view is very tight.  The Mueller and Burris FF II really open the FOV up.  There are 2 nice reviews in the Optics section, done by yours truly, but has some pics and thoughts from quite a few from here as well.

:agreed: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

sugarray

Quote from: drakekilla12 on April 06, 2011, 02:24:18 PM
i found a solution, i just grabbed a old hiviz sight that slaps on to rib.  i have a ez hit champion sight endorsed by tom knap for duck hunting which was higher than my original front sight that came on sbe 2 from factory. anyways i put on that sight in front of original sight and placed the triangle so the sight is bigger and closer and taller thus bringing down my pattern more if need be.

That will do it too.  Shot it and let us know how you are doing.  Maybe you are just picking your head up when you shoot.  This could make it shoot high as well.  Just trying to think of the possibilities.

drakekilla12

Now I'm not lifting my head cause I had 3 very accomplished wingsjooters Aldo shoot my gun who r about my size so I needed to use the c shim in my benelli. I'm patterning it here in an hour when my dad gets home. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I swear it shoots high still

drakekilla12

NO NEED FOR RED DOT SIGHT! Just patterned it earlier. On an 11x11 target with turkeys head on it here are my numbers:

Hevishot #7: 266 in target, 83 in "kill zone"
Hevishot magnum blends: 191 total , 59 in "kill zone"

I'm physched out of my mind with the #7 but MB idk about.  All targets shot at 40 yrds with 3" 2 oz

doepee

beagler

I have an Aimpoint 9000SC red dot on my SBE 2 and love it.
Never Misses

drakekilla12

Quote from: doepee on April 10, 2011, 04:59:06 PM
Did you shoot one at 50 to see what you get??

I wish! But I'm not made outta money I'm only 16!