OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Slate thickness strong enough?

Started by Disney, March 30, 2017, 06:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disney

I worry about the durability of slate used for the striking surface or soundboard. The slate available is 3/32" thick or sometimes translated to 0.09 thickness. I'm worried the slate will crack or break  as a striking surface or soundboard. Is a single layer strong enough? Or should I glue two pieces together? It just seems so thin. Has anyone had issues with their slate breaking in their pot calls? Maybe I worry for nothing but any help is appreciated.
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

MickT

I think that is pretty much "industry standard" for call making. I've never broken one I've made or bought. If you start changing the calling surface specs, you'll have to re-engineer the rest of the call as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disney

I kind of figured that and that woul be alot of extra work. Thans though, it's reassuring. 
:thanks:
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

ridgerunner

Have you had one break? I've never had an issue...guess if one breaks then it will be an issue.. why worry about hypothetical's ?

Disney

My friend bought a custom call and the slate soundboard broke. I'm not sure if it was dropped or what happened to it. It was a slate over Slate and the broken piece rattles around when you shake it. I do not know who made the call but I have been hesitant to use slate when I saw what happened.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

mastevt

I know a guy who sands his down even thinner for his playing surface.  So I would imagine if he's not having issues, the standard .090 thickness would not present a problem.  Broken soundboard
could just be a fluke, or possibly he dropped it, but I would think if the drop was hard enough to break the SB, it would at least cracked the surface, and at least put a dent in the edge.

Disney

Good point. I agree. I'm not going to worry about it since it's such a rare thing. Thanks for the information.
timbertunes126@gmail.com