turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1187 help

Started by killer, February 10, 2011, 10:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killer

I have decided to go to a 20ga. for my turkey gun.  I just bought a 1187 sportsman camo with 26" barrel.  I have a primos jellyhead .570 choke and was wondering what everyones opinion was on a load to try.  I'm looking for a gun that will kill a turkey everytime at 40yds. with no questioning it (other than when I get tore up and miss).  I was going to try the recommended nitro shell, but was thinking of shoting the hevi-13 in the magnum blend.  Thats what I shoot in my encore.

Also what is everyones thoughts on polishing the barrel?  Does this really help?  I use this gun for doves, rabbits, and quail too.  Will polishing hurt the preformance of the loads used for those?

I'm not opposed to buying another choke if I have too so if you have a load/choke recommendation lets hear it.

shootumindaface

The Nitros 7s are a slam dunk with every gun and choke pretty much.. If you would like to use EM loads I personally would opt for the 7s instead of the mag blend

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

CB on the run

I'm not sure if the 1187's and the 1100's have the same bore size.  I shoot an 1100 that has been ported.  I believe the porting helps the pattern.  I'm currently shooting an old style RSF choke and have patterned H13 #7's,  Fed HW FC #7's and Nitro straight 7's.  The Nitro's patterned the best but I like the weight of the Federal shot and its' consist size and shape.

CB

killer

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 10, 2011, 10:32:50 AM
The Nitros 7s are a slam dunk with every gun and choke pretty much.. If you would like to use EM loads I personally would opt for the 7s instead of the mag blend

What is an EM load?

killer

Quote from: CB on the run on February 10, 2011, 02:53:35 PM
  I'm not sure if the 1187's and the 1100's have the same bore size.  I shoot an 1100 that has been ported.  I believe the porting helps the pattern.  I'm currently shooting an old style RSF choke and have patterned H13 #7's,  Fed HW FC #7's and Nitro straight 7's.  The Nitro's patterned the best but I like the weight of the Federal shot and its' consist size and shape.

CB

How far did you shoot pattern the gun.  I assume RSF is short for remington standard full?

shootumindaface

Quote from: killer on February 10, 2011, 03:00:58 PM

What is an EM load?
Environmetal = Makers of Hevi Shot and Hevi 13
Quote from: killer on February 10, 2011, 03:02:20 PM

CB

How far did you shoot pattern the gun.  I assume RSF is short for remington standard full?
RSF= Remington Super Full

killer

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 10, 2011, 03:05:18 PM
Quote from: killer on February 10, 2011, 03:00:58 PM

What is an EM load?
Environmetal = Makers of Hevi Shot and Hevi 13
Quote from: killer on February 10, 2011, 03:02:20 PM

CB

RSF= Remington Super Full

Thank you sir I've been hunting for years but I aint got the text lingo down yet.

CB on the run

R AJ

That setup does well with the H-13 #7 loads. If you can't use 7s try the 5 pack of #6s . At 40 yards I had around 140 or more in the 10 " last year.