turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

who goes hunting with one call ?

Started by hotspur, December 07, 2016, 04:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotspur

You guys have talked me into buying a custom made call, and I love it should have bought one years ago. Thinking of starting the season with this one call. I've been slowly downsizing on what I bring out, and want to get confidence in my new call. I also like posting and reading on old gobbler , so I'm asking who does it with one call and mybe how long you've been doing it?

Bowguy

Not saying you can't do it w one call but the more sounds you have the better off you are. Yes there's a limit but at least a little variation could help strike a reluctant bird.
That being said I used to use only mouth calls n normally only one or two dif ones when I started out. This was in 80s n options were seemingly more limited

KentuckyHeadhunter

I like to always have a longbox (or short but not both), a scratchbox, and a trumpet.  The key is this.....take what you are most confident in playing.  Try to learn other call types to add to your arsenal.  Sometimes a gobbler won't respond til you hit a totally different call.  You would be surprised what a scratchbox or trumpet can achieve once they are mastered.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Double B

If you carried a good glass/slate 2 sider with a few strikers I think you would be fine.   I usually carry 4 pots in my vest, along with several strikers. But also have a smaller pack with only one call, an Ol Yeller w 2 strikers. I use it if I'm going light or lazy.
Followed by buzzards

paboxcall

If you hunt only one call, you inevitably will master it.

When I do, typically only a trumpet call or a long box.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

saltysenior

one old Tom Gaskins......can not find another like that or other make that sounds that good to me...???

beakbuster10

It can be done, and most of the gobblers I have called to the gun barrel have been with a single short box or one single diaphragm. But there are also quite a few dead gobblers that would have made it another day had I not had a vest full of options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Quote from: beakbuster10 on December 09, 2016, 06:24:20 PM
It can be done, and most of the gobblers I have called to the gun barrel have been with a single short box or one single diaphragm. But there are also quite a few dead gobblers that would have made it another day had I not had a vest full of options.

It's like only knowing yelping n clucking. You're gonna leave birds in the woods imo

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Bowguy on December 10, 2016, 02:12:27 PM
Quote from: beakbuster10 on December 09, 2016, 06:24:20 PM

It's like only knowing yelping n clucking. You're gonna leave birds in the woods imo
Exactly what these guys said. When I first started turkey hunting many years ago I had one pot call and one short box. I had more confidence in my calling with a pot call and one day when hunting used only my pot call with no response finally I figured I had nothing to lose so broke out my box call and had 3 Gobblers gobble from three different locations. This taught me that sometimes they like to hear different tones. Most generally one call will work great,but I feel I'm short changing myself if I don't have at least a couple different calls in my vest and over time have learned to play a wide range  of calls. If your like alot of us you'll have a hard time stopping at just one custom call anyway. Lol...

DumpTruckTurkey

A lot of times Ill only use 1 call.... but I carry around 4.

renegade19

Please!  More like one in every pocket and several more stuffed in a pack.  About like fishing tournaments, take 20 rods each rigged with a different bait and maybe throw 3 during the day!   :funnyturkey:

jims

When I first started turkey hunting I bought 3 pot calls.  Now that I've hunted and gotten more experience all my pot calls stay in the truck.  The only call I carry is a mouth call.  There are a multitude of calls I can make with a mouth call.  I stay mobile when turkey hunting and its a lot easier having a mouth call ready in my mouth rather than lugging around other calls.  I also have both hands free!

MK M GOBL

Not down to one call, but have cut down what I carry. There are times when I run and gun that when I am after him I may drop my pack and just go in on him... But with that said I like to be able to have a few styles of calls with me, I'm down to my favorites list.

MK M GOBL

derek

I feel like I could get away with it, but I don't.  I'll have the same mouth call that is my go to for the majority of the season and I'll kill about all of my birds come from just that with an exception or two here and there over the years.  I always have a spare or two of the same call in my vest and an assortment of other mouth calls I like, but it always comes back to the same call.  It's just what I have confidence in.  A long box is the only other thing I use here and there and that's really just used like a locator occasionally.. I carry an aluminum pot call but I'll be honest it doesn't come out too often. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com