OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

When to move

Started by culpeper, December 02, 2016, 11:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culpeper

So I have 2 scenarios:

1. After that Gobbler flys down he gives you 10-15 decent gobbles over a 45 minute time period, but doesn't come in, how long do you wait before you make a move on him (presume you can and have good cover to do so), or shift completely and start trolling?  Presume he doesn't have hens.  Is your answer based on experience from the past, or what you believe is now the better decision to fill your tag on any gobbler?

2. It's mid-late morning and you encounter a gobbler after cruising a bit...he 'seems' interested, you work him for about 30 minutes but you don't believe he has made a move toward you....from what you know he doesn't have hens.  When do you move on him, or do you stay patient and how long if so?

Bowguy

If he flys down too far for starters try roosting n be closer. If he flys down to one spot n stays gobbling periodically he's looking for you to join him. Mark the area mentally n try again tomo, or try some gobbler sounds (fights, yelps, purrs). If I had time though I'd give him the day n look for another today. Kinda like decoying ducks, be where they wanna be before they get there n they'll join you.

So much will depend on lay of land n time of year. If it's open id bet more guys, especially less experienced ones, get caught moving unless other things favor you.

If you strike him mid morn n if no hens are present. Call little n soft n make him come look for you. Play coy.
If that doesn't work id occasionally kick it up. Maybe some fast cutting. If that cranks him up I'd again wait but so much depends on a negative/positive response so I might actually continue.
Most guys like the coy game but imo an awful lot of birds haven't read the book n like more aggression in their hens. (Think I do too so I don't blame em!) but truthfully an awful lot depends on so many scenarios.
Is he standing there displaying for hens? If so try calling them. Is there something blocking him n cover enough for you to move to better spot. Is the season young or gonna end in an hour? 
Some will tell you call the same, maybe good advice but if it's almost 12 last day I'm going for it.
First day I'd back off em keep the birds "fresh". Hope this sorta makes sense

culpeper

Bowguy,

I understand ALL of what you are saying and it's good stuff.  I have done the same many times....what my interest is, is more along the lines of a survey....wondering what everyone else would do when presented with a similar scenario.  To move or not move is often the $60,000 question we all face each season.  There are too many conditions, what if's, time of the season and so on...many of which you cover well, that can influence our decision to move or not.

Bowguy

Well that's the essence of the answer. I think terrain, distance matter without that it'd be hard to do a survey. Sometimes best to even move away or lateral right? Not sure I personally could ever give an answer without being totally in a set up. Bet you'd have a hard time w it too but let's see the survey answers. Just a note to you that might add to the survey perhaps anyone answered could write what state theyre hunting n what type land. Might be interesting n prove/disprove some theories. Good luck w it

CMBOSTC

I wouldn't move unless I could get away with it, if I could, I would definitely move. For me, it's the thrill of trying not to get caught. It's a little bit of an adrenaline thing.

silvestris

#1: If he has answered you with gusto and you kept calling he may still be there but is unlikely to come.  If he is with hens, of which you can never always be certain, he is probably not going to come whether he answered you with gusto or not.

#2: If he answered your call with gusto, the late morning lone gobbler is likely to come if the hunter will only shut up.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

CMBOSTC

Quote from: silvestris on December 02, 2016, 04:13:30 PM
#1: If he has answered you with gusto and you kept calling he may still be there but is unlikely to come.  If he is with hens, of which you can never always be certain, he is probably not going to come whether he answered you with gusto or not.

#2: If he answered your call with gusto, the late morning lone gobbler is likely to come if the hunter will only shut up.

Agreed, my opinion is to move early in the morning and locate and stand fast later in the morning.

GobbleNut

Each situation is different, so it is difficult to state matter-of-factly what is the best thing to do.  However, generally speaking, if I have a gobbler that is responding and appears interested, but is holding his ground, I am going to move on him IF I know I can get away with it,...and I will do that rather quickly once I am convinced I need to. 

There are gobblers that want the hen to come to them and will hold their ground.  The more you call to them from one spot, the more suspicious,...or maybe, disinterested,...they will become.  Moving and calling so that the gobbler thinks a real hen is out there moving around, will sometimes break them off of their stationary pattern and bring them forward.  Of course, if you can cut the distance between you and the bird while moving, even more the better.

However, it is the rare situation where the circumstances will allow for enough moving around that you will not be risking getting busted at some point.  When I find myself in that kind of situation though, I try to take advantage of it.  In my experience, it ups the odds of success. 

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: GobbleNut on December 02, 2016, 05:26:37 PM
Each situation is different, so it is difficult to state matter-of-factly what is the best thing to do.  However, generally speaking, if I have a gobbler that is responding and appears interested, but is holding his ground, I am going to move on him IF I know I can get away with it,...and I will do that rather quickly once I am convinced I need to. 

There are gobblers that want the hen to come to them and will hold their ground.  The more you call to them from one spot, the more suspicious,...or maybe, disinterested,...they will become.  Moving and calling so that the gobbler thinks a real hen is out there moving around, will sometimes break them off of their stationary pattern and bring them forward.  Of course, if you can cut the distance between you and the bird while moving, even more the better.

However, it is the rare situation where the circumstances will allow for enough moving around that you will not be risking getting busted at some point.  When I find myself in that kind of situation though, I try to take advantage of it.  In my experience, it ups the odds of success.

This.  Especially the second paragraph. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

KentuckyHeadhunter

Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

guesswho

1.  I'm probably not waiting the 45 minutes.   There's usually one of two reasons he hasn't shown up.  Either he has hens or he's not comfortable coming to where your at.   Either way I feel he's not coming and  I'm comfortable enough in my ability to move on him that I'll usually close the distance on him. 

2.   I'm hanging tight until he shows or gobbles again to let me know where he's at.  I may sit there a couple hours or more before I decide to move.  And before I move I'll try to coax a gobble out of him by cutting at him.   If he gobbles I then know wether to move or stay,  if he doesn't gobble I'll ease his way at an angle.

Answers are based on past experiences and their outcomes.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

renegade19

In both of the scenarios you mention I would move.  IF you can do so without getting busted.  Works for me a lot.  Remember, real hens don't stand in one spot and call for hours on end.....

PS:  What Guesswho said.   I'd like to know more or less where he's at before I do move.

culpeper

Guys,

This is what I was looking for and no surprises here either, I think we all agree that when and if presented with the opportunity with minimal risk of getting busted we would move.  I guess if I was 30 yrs old I might stay put a bit longer, but now at 59 I would rather get the action moving.  GobbleNut states it well.

Happy

I am 35 years old and have patience slightly shorter than the hind leg of a snake when it comes to turkeys. If he is vocal but not moving then I am relocating in short order if at all possible. There is a reason why he isn't coming and it's not because he isn't interested. I think patience is overated in a lot of circumstances. If I do stay put then leaf scratching is all I do.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

buzzardroost

I'll generally relocate on him in the situations you mentioned. I can't leave a bird, we don't have that many. I worked one for about 4 hours last year with probably 5 different setups before he strutted in and I shot him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk