turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

hevi13 vs jellyhead

Started by coyotetrpr, April 05, 2011, 10:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotetrpr

Has anyone here compared patterns from the hevishot choke to the jellyhead? I am real interested in results from a mossberg 835 with hevishot blend,#5,#6,and #7.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Belo83

id be interested to know this as well as im trying to decide on a choke right now

Smart longbeard

I tried out hevi 13 #4 shot with a jelly head choke, compared to seven other choke/shot combinations at 40 yrds using a 935 it patterned the best. After reading several discussions on here for a using #7 shot hevi 13 I swapped over to use it with a jelly head. I didn't pattern the gun with #7s but I did shoot a gobbler at 35 yrds yesterday and it was the first time I've shot one at any distance that didn't even flop. P.S. I have to drive approximately 25 miles one way to buy hevi shot at about $25 a box with the cost of gas/shells, I probably will not pattern it.

Long story short: I can't state a comparison between the two but I have shot a mature gobbler dead (didn't even flop) @ 35 yrds with a jelly head and #7s.

goblr77

Quote from: JohnDoe on April 06, 2011, 10:06:46 AM
Smart

Most guns have a point of impact that does not correspond with the sights on the gun using Hevi shots. Mossy 835 and 935 are famous for not shooting HTL to point of aim.  Please pattern once to check POI so you dont accidentally cripple a bird.

John

I had to scope my 835 because of POI issues. It wasn't because of Hevishot though. The POI with Hevi 6's, 7's, and gray box Win lead 6's are all pretty close.

pdaugherty

I'd go with the HEVI-13 #7s. They have the same knock down as #5 lead does plus you get around 623 pellets in a 2 1/4 oz load with the 3.5in shell. If you get your point of aim and point of impact right there is no way a bird can get through that pattern with that many pellets. The attached target was shot at 45yds with a Rem 1187, 20in barrell, HEVI-Shot .662 choke, 3in 2oz #6, HEVI-13. I've started shooting the #7s now and will post pics later.

[attachment deleted by admin]

goblr77

Quote from: pdaugherty on April 06, 2011, 10:58:29 AM
I'd go with the HEVI-13 #7s. They have the same knock down as #5 lead does plus you get around 623 pellets in a 2 1/4 oz load with the 3.5in shell. If you get your point of aim and point of impact right there is no way a bird can get through that pattern with that many pellets. The attached target was shot at 45yds with a Rem 1187, 20in barrell, HEVI-Shot .662 choke, 3in 2oz #6, HEVI-13. I've started shooting the #7s now and will post pics later.

I would go with the 7's as well. Attached pics of birds shot this year at 47 & 52 yards.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Smart longbeard

Smart

Most guns have a point of impact that does not correspond with the sights on the gun using Hevi shots. Mossy 835 and 935 are famous for not shooting HTL to point of aim.  Please pattern once to check POI so you dont accidentally cripple a bird.

John

So you believe there will be a difference between the #4 shot and #7 shot hevi shot as far as POI? I killed a bird Monday and he didn't even flop. I patterned the gun with 5 different shells and 2 different chokes at 40 yards all of which would have lethal results. This is my 4th mossy and i never have had that problem. Please put more time in the woods and less time patterning.

pdaugherty

There is always going to be a different POI when you shoot different size shot. The larger shot has more surface area and more weight than the small shot so it is going to shoot different. Just like with a different grain rifle bullet. The reason some of us do spend so much time patterning our guns is so that we can be 100% sure of making good clean kills on turkeys and the ranges we know our guns can shoot.

hookedspur

Quote from: pdaugherty on April 06, 2011, 03:56:44 PM
There is always going to be a different POI when you shoot different size shot. The larger shot has more surface area and more weight than the small shot so it is going  :)to shoot different. Just like with a different grain rifle bullet. The reason some of us do spend so much time patterning our guns is so that we can be 100% sure of making good clean kills on turkeys and the ranges we know our guns can shoot.
:agreed: you owe it to the bird .  :)
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

sugarray

Quote from: Smart longbeard on April 06, 2011, 02:59:37 PM
Smart

John

So you believe there will be a difference between the #4 shot and #7 shot hevi shot as far as POI? I killed a bird Monday and he didn't even flop. I patterned the gun with 5 different shells and 2 different chokes at 40 yards all of which would have lethal results. This is my 4th mossy and i never have had that problem. Please put more time in the woods and less time patterning.

A lot of guys have problems, which is why so many have a sight of some kind or another.  Also, I couldn't get my 835 to shoot anywhere near POA.  So you got lucky with your gun.  Because we here at OG like to ensure our guns are going to kill cleanly doesn't mean we don't know what we are talking about.

Smart longbeard

Valid points and after giving it more thought i did pattern the gun yesterday afternoon. I honestly didn't see any difference. But I really like to shoot in 40 yrds or less range, i'm sure at distances further than that you would see greater differences in poi (referencing an angle due to less/more weight per pellet).

pdaugherty

Good job on going out and patterning your gun. You can never tell which shells, loads, or choke your gun is going to like the best until you shoot it. We owe it to the birds to know what our guns are doing. Good luck and good hunting