turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Purring on a box call.

Started by Danger DAve, April 05, 2011, 09:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danger DAve

Another newbie question.  Is it possible to purr on a box call and make it sound as good as a slate or mouth call?  When i do it it sounds like an attempt at making a purr on a box call, and it's very hit or miss.  Nothing I would dare try in the field.

Could be my box calls aren't refined enough.   I've got one on order from SS.  Will it make a difference.  I won't be dissapointed if not.  Mostly I'm just curious.

Thanks for the usual help you all provide.

neal

When I judge at Midwest call competition, that is one of the biggest things I like to hear is a box call that can call soft, cluck and purr and have great roll over, most all box can be played really loud it's the ones that can be toned down that I like, they are the most versatile.

Hope this helps a little and good luck with your new call,  they make some nice stuff!

Neal
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Danger DAve

Thanks Neal.  In retrospect I probably should have put this in the calls and calling section.

Danger DAve

The thing is.  I love purring on a pot, but I think my yelps and clucks sound better on a box.  not to mention the cutting, which I rarely do anyway.  I am new as I said.  I'm guessing practice is the missing element.  I've played guitar 25 years so I should get there if I work at it.

Thanks for all the help.  It, welll, helps.

drum817

Quote from: Danger DAve on April 05, 2011, 09:32:45 PM

Could be my box calls aren't refined enough.   I've got one on order from SS.  Will it make a difference.  I won't be dissapointed if not.  Mostly I'm just curious.

A soft playing Box Call is what drew me to SS Calls in the first place.  I know for a FACT you can get one of the SS boxes to play soft and cluck & purr.  After you get your box feel free to pm me or just call Al and we will be GLAD to help you with the call (if you need it).  With a bit of practice you can do ALL the soft calling you need on that box call....Best of luck !!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Danger DAve

Thanks Drum.   I'm really looking forward to getting the call and I will be sure to take you up on that.   This isn't a big board, but the people here seem to really look out for one another.  That's a good thing.

drum817

Quote from: Danger DAve on April 05, 2011, 11:04:54 PM
Thanks Drum.   I'm really looking forward to getting the call and I will be sure to take you up on that.   This isn't a big board, but the people here seem to really look out for one another.  That's a good thing.

:icon_thumright: 
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

WyoHunter

Practice and a light touch will get the results your looking for.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

ElkTurkMan

I ahve also found that if you squeeze the sides of theboxl as your playing it, it will soften ithe sound up some.