turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trying to figure out the best box call

Started by mtns2hunt, October 10, 2016, 10:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

I have about thirty box calls. Don't ask me why I just keep on trying them out at gun shows and if I like them I buy them. I also purchase off e bay a lot. I really like a raspy call and as I was cleaning and playing with my calls I noticed that many sound remarkably alike. I don't feel this should be the case and have decided to cull my box calls but then I started reading and wondering what everyone else uses.

The more I read in this forum the more confused I have become: I have paddle boxes, short boxes, long boxes some are factory made, some custom made - some have straight sides some slanted, the lids are different shapes and one is even a curve. They are of different wood types: some appear to be of one wood, mainly the factory ones and the custom are of several types of wood for example one piece bubinga with sycamore inlays, black walnut lid, black walnut add ons. I never even heard of a bubinga. Does anyone have a simple explanation on sorting all this out. I just finished reading a history of a Turpin vs cost call. I think these are paddle calls- maybe? Any help would really be appreciated in sorting this out. By the way I have killed turkeys with every call I have except two.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

jed clampett

I wish I killed a turkey with every box I have..but some boxes won't make it outta the house!

mtns2hunt

Quote from: jed clampett on October 11, 2016, 07:16:18 AM
I wish I killed a turkey with every box I have..but some boxes won't make it outta the house!

I make a point to hunt every call I buy and hunt hard. I have my favorites and go to calls but won't buy a call I will not use. I seldom have issues in getting a response from a turkey and thought I was doing real well until I started reading this forum. I use box calls, mouth calls, pots and push pins but when I start reading about all the best call makers and gotta haves - well it confuses me. Turkey hunting is a lot of fun and the call is just part of the equation. After sleeping on it I have decided for me at least I am going to stay focused on what I am doing and ignore all the hype. This coming year its Rio's in Kansas and Eastern's in Va.

davisd9

I would say 90% of calls I buy end up on a shelf or in a bag after I buy them. Very few make the woods and some of them are good calls. I buy calls to hunt and many just do not beat out what is already proven.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Happy

I have more calls than I need also. I am going to have 5 or so pot calls that I will hunt, a scratchbox and some diaghrams. I think most of my wooden pot calls will see limited action. I like pots that can handle some abuse and inclement weather. That's why I prefer synthetic stocked guns. Ain't as purty but they are functional.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

KentuckyHeadhunter

The best call is the one that sounds the best to YOU and also the one that you play the best.  This doesn't guarantee you a gobbler though.  But it maintains your confidence, which is a big problem for many hunters. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

SteelerFan

Does anyone have a simple explanation on sorting all this out...

Turkey calls can be compared to musical instruments, like a guitar. They all (or should) have the ability to make the sounds you want when you play them. Different woods, designs, etc. affect the tonal quality. Same call maker / design using different woods will produce different sounds.

As said, finding the combination you prefer to play and hear will dictate your choice. Lots of different people like lots of different sounds... which is why so many choices exist. Gibson makes a bunch of different guitars - but they are all meant to play music.

A great call that sounds like a real hen, is just as good as a different great call that sounds like a real hen.  :z-dizzy:

davisd9

There are many custom call makers and just because they are custom does not mean they all belong in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Happy hooker

It's the same thing in musky fishing I have at least 700 lures,,a lot of them are made out of wood and they come through the water nice straight good,,however you sometimes keep rebuying the same one over and over to find that same exact lure with a wiggle or the death belly roll and it's special. Wood and it's density vary so much. I've noticed this too in some of the calls that I have from the same maker,
I guess that's the beauty of going to a call makers show you get to try before buy.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Happy hooker on October 11, 2016, 06:01:25 PM
I guess that's the beauty of going to a call makers show you get to try before buy.

I agree that trying them out first is a great way to get what you want. Although I have been buying from three or four on ebay whose calls are really good sound unheard. Everyone on this post helped clarify my thoughts and eliminate some of the confusion. The different styles, wood and craftsmanship all have a bearing on how a calls sound. But in the end it really boils down to what sounds good to you. Thanks.

strutnrut

Come to Unicoi in Jan. You will be among the best and will have a great time.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: strutnrut on October 12, 2016, 06:51:20 AM
Come to Unicoi in Jan. You will be among the best and will have a great time.

Unicoi, is this a convention. Please excuse my ignorance but I have never heard of it. Googled it and came up with Georgia State Park?

sixbird

I think it may be held in that state park...From what I understand it's a really cool get together.
My take on this entire call thing is I try to buy calls that either sound different from each other or are made of wood that I have a soft spot for. Some are just because they make me feel warm and fuzzy.
If you have a few good calls that you've been successful with and you have no interest in collecting them for their esthetic value, then stick with what you have.
That said, I do try to get a new call or two at the beginning of every season so the turkeys don't begin to recognize me for who I am...  ;^)
I know there's controversy regarding that subject but I think they are smart enough to avoid the same dangerous situation over and over...

Jeffwhitecustomcalls

Agreed especially public land birds. Better have a good call in your pocket.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: sixbird on October 16, 2016, 06:38:02 PM
I think it may be held in that state park...From what I understand it's a really cool get together.
My take on this entire call thing is I try to buy calls that either sound different from each other or are made of wood that I have a soft spot for. Some are just because they make me feel warm and fuzzy.
If you have a few good calls that you've been successful with and you have no interest in collecting them for their esthetic value, then stick with what you have.
That said, I do try to get a new call or two at the beginning of every season so the turkeys don't begin to recognize me for who I am...  ;^)
I know there's controversy regarding that subject but I think they are smart enough to avoid the same dangerous situation over and over...

Agreed, my philosophy is similar. I just got caught up in all the minutia much of which I don't find valuable. But I would never begrudge anyone that does.