turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Guns

Started by BottomLand54, February 17, 2017, 11:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BottomLand54

OK guys I sold my sbe3 and ordered a weatherby SA-459 Turkey 12 guage, and also a Thompson center pro Hunter turkey 20 guage! I want to know y'all's experience with these guns, I have been a huge Benelli fan but sold it to buy these 2 guns! Personal experience with shot and choke combos with store bought ammo. I have went ahead and ordered chokes from sumtoy as I trueky trust his expertise and customer service! I have never had a 20 guage turkey gun and bought the TC so I can later.on get a 7mm-08 barrel for it! Thanks in advance. :happy0064:

1iagobblergetter

I don't have the Encore prohunter 20,but have the Encore before it in a 12g. all camo. I love mine I topped mine years ago with a Nikon Turkey Pro and added a Kicks .655 choke. I have several 3.5 in.Benellis,870 Max Gobbler, NWTF TK2000, and always grab my Encore. I like everything about it other than the recoil,but never feel a thing in the heat of the moment and while patterning got smart and bought a lead sled and bench...If I knew then what I know now I would have bought a matching 20g barrel. I ve heard alot of good about the sumtoy chokes you've mentioned. I never feel hindered with only one shot the way it shoots with the optics.Before I put the scope on it i hated the open sights that were on it. Hard to explain,but seemed like it covered much of the turkey when trying to get a bead just on the waddles or neck. Especially if the turkey moved at all. I let my brother borrow it in the beginning and he also said the same thing without me mentioning it when I asked how he liked it.

davisd9

Smart guy to get rid of the SBE as a turkey gun. Those two will be fine killers. The 20 should shoot great with a Sumtoy or Carlson 575 and Fed HW 7s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

BottomLand54

Thank you guys, I am kinda ignorant to federal hw7s is this the federal flight control was stuff? I know of hevi-shot 7s that most time have to be ordered due to no stores around me stocking them. Please fill me in on the federal 7s and if it's that flight control because I have read allot bad experience with that flight control wads, please inform me on this. Also what does anyone recommend for a base and sight option for the encore pro Hunter 20 guage, a scope or red dot, and what kind of base etc? Thanks

Strutr

My 12ga Encore turkey gun is the earlier model, too.  It wears an inexpensive (~$60?) Sightmark reflex sight.  This model is very low profile, similar to the Vortex Venom.  I wasn't really sure I was going to like this kind of optic but it has worked out rather well.  So far, it has survived a dozen or so 3", 2oz Double-X loads and about 30 - 2.75" rifled slug loads and has exceeded my expectations.  The dot has settings of off-low-high which are perfectly adequate.  The sight sits on a long TC scope base #9949 which attaches to the barrel with six screws for optimum strength.  So far, so good.

BottomLand54

Thank you strut hopefully others will chime in I know there has to be others with these guns.

Strutr

My scope base was specifically designed for the 12ga Encore shotgun barrels.  There are apparently some contour differences between the shotgun and rifle barrels.  Here is an E.A. Brown base for the 20ga:  http://www.eabco.net/TC-Encore-Pro-Hunter-20-Ga-Scope-Mounting-Base_p_15403.html

Good luck!

BottomLand54

Strutr you are correct! Thank you. Most people say ow just throw a weaver or a warne on there, and they may work however from what I have read the pro Hunter 20 guage has a new design over the old encore 20 guage. That being said eabco realized this and made a specific mount just for it. Something about it has shallow holes and a unique contour. I ordered a black eabco mount I will let you know how it all works out. I was hoping a sumtoy mount would work because it sits allot lower, I hope the eabco.mount with my ff3 isn't too tall. I guess I could add some sort cheek pad if I had too, but I don't want too! Thank y'all for your help. Keep on sending any information you have. Cannot wait to get gun a set it up.  :z-guntootsmiley:

BottomLand54

Here they are!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

gatrkyhntr70

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-