Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Just wondering if anyone else does this ?

Started by 1iagobblergetter, September 06, 2016, 08:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

Living in Iowa with a high population of deer I started years ago washing my clothes in scent free detergent and also using scent free soap,shampoo, and deodorant before heading out to turkey hunt to help keep from being busted by deer and alarming everything around. Anyone else do this or just overkill?

Farmboy27

I don't (to lazy to get up that early. Lol!). But I know guys that do. Don't know how much it helps but it sure can't hurt! 

guesswho

I don't.    I figure they hear deer blow and see them run on a pretty regular basis.   If I get busted by deer while turkey hunting while engaged with a bird I'll shut up and sit tight for about 20 minutes then ease back into it.   If I'm not engaged with a bird and get busted by deer I just keep on keeping on.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

Here is my redneck reasoning. If the wind is wrong they are gonna smell you if it's right they wont. It took me a bit of time to realize the whole scent control  thing was mainly marketing. I wash my clothes with scent free soap and store them in a tote with some pine branches. Take a shower with scent free soap and go hunt. Now mnt hick can vouch for this. I can not shower for three days, drag and gut deer and still kill a deer on the fourth day.It happened one time. I think I smell so bad by then that they are just confused and partly stunned. Now I am not a trophy hunter but there aren't many trophies to hunt round here anyways. I have my share of decent bucks for the area tho. I do believe the whole scent control thing is highly overrated. Hunt smart and use the wind as best as possible to your advantage. Do it right and you can kill deer smoking cigarettes.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Happy

My bad. Thought we were talking deer hunting here. I smell equally bad at turkey camp though ^-^

outdoors

I HAVE ALOT TO SAY ABOUT THIS  PRO's & CON's
Just do what you think is right
Turkeys don't have very good sense of smell
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Kylongspur88

No.

I usually wear the same camo when I deer hunt as I do when I turkey hunt, but I don't wash my stuff before the spring season. Turkeys don't mind BO.

I will wash anything I've worn turkey hunting before I wear it deer hunting and store it in a scent free bin.

I will also wash any clothes I've worn in the fall turkey season again before wearing them deer hunting.

I wash my base layers a lot, but try not to wash my outer layers too much because it fades and wears it it faster.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Happy on September 06, 2016, 08:48:15 PM
My bad. Thought we were talking deer hunting here. I smell equally bad at turkey camp though ^-^
He's not kidding. I've watched fly's get repulsed and leave when he enters the camp for both deer and turkey season. Heck, the smell was so bad last year that I watched a buzzard leave a dead skunk alone just to get away from the putrid smell. I'm fairly convinced that deer believe nothing that's still alive could possibly smell that bad so they just let their guard down and come on in. Based on where he sits and the prevailing wind direction, it's a wonder to me that he sees anything at all after day 2 but yet he manages to get deer all the time. In recent years, I've found turkey hunting by myself to be relaxing and much more pleasant to the olfactory senses when hunting with Happy.  :TooFunny:

All joking aside, the scent control stuff is a lot of hype. I've bought into it in the past and almost let it ruin my season trying to be "perfect" in the scent department. In the past couple years I just throw on some clean hunting clothes, might spritz them with whatever spray and ve got leftover from previous years and get into the woods. If the wind is in my face, I hunt. If not, I move and get to a different location that it will be. I don't intentionally taint my clothes before hand but you're only scent free for as long as you can hold your breath. After that, the deer own you.

renegade19

I wear a lot of the same stuff hunting deer or turkeys.  Don't bother with scent in the spring.

Cut N Run

If I'll be hunting an area where the deer spend a lot of time, I'll take some scented stick-type antiperspirant and rub it on trees around the area a day or two in advance.  Those small incense cones will also do the trick at running the deer off.  The incense smells strong to start, but only last for a few weeks before they eventually dissolve.

About 15 years ago, I had a big gobbler that was on his way in get run off by some deer that walked up downwind and bust me.  If I plan to hunt one of my honey holes, I make a preemptive scent strike ahead of time to prevent deer from causing me problems. 

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

tomstopper

Quote from: renegade19 on September 06, 2016, 10:14:33 PM
I wear a lot of the same stuff hunting deer or turkeys.  Don't bother with scent in the spring.
x2

SteelerFan

Happy

Turkeys get buggered all the time. Doesn't take to long for them to settle down. I had an interesting run in with a momma black bear and her two cubs one spring morning. Needless to say the commotion in the predawn darkness flushed my intended target which was roosted about 70 yards away. Still killed him about an hour and a half later. Relocated about 100 yards in the direction he flushed and he came right in. Only gobbled once and I never heard another peep. He was high stepping and cautious. Just not cautious enough. As Ronnie said lay low for a bit and get back after them.

M Sharpe

I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: SteelerFan on September 07, 2016, 12:08:22 AM
I'm just thankful that turkeys can't smell
x2 I've always said if they could my success rate would plummet. Lol... sounds like I can probably roll over and get that little bit of extra sleep this fall if I feel like it. I'm counting down the days until our fall turkey season,but I love anything about turkey hunting even after almost 20 years of it. Thanks everyone..