turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mouth Piece question

Started by flockbuster, August 29, 2016, 07:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flockbuster

First off, thanks for all the information I've gotten from reading the stuff many of you have so freely offered on here. Yall have saved me a bunch of miss steps and unnecessary expenses. Thank you all.

I have slowly gotten just about everything I need to start turning some calls, lathe, chucks etc. I want to try my hand at pot calls eventually but right now I want to learn to make trumpet calls.

I haven't actually made one yet and I expect there to be a steep learning curve but I think I at least see the right direction to go as far as the main body of the trumpet goes thanks to yall. My question is a general question on how to, not dimensions or trade secrets, on how to turn the mouth piece.  Do you turn the mouth piece between centers? I took a short, hands on pen turning class at a local hardware store and was thinking that might transfer over to making the mouth piece ie drilling out the center then putting it on a pen turning jig.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Crawdad

I turn my mouth piece down on one end to fit the Ferrell, then flip it & put that portion just turned in the Chuck & finish turning your mouth piece to the shape you want and sand to finish.

flockbuster

Thanks Crawdad.  Since I haven't actually made one yet I have been trying to picture in my head the process and like most things, I tend to overthink it.

Crawdad

Not much to it really, when you get ready contact me if you need too.

flockbuster

Thanks Crawdad, I may very well take you up on that.

blackfalcon

The way I do mine is much like Robert said. I use a PSI Barracuda 4 jaw chuck and 60 degree live center. Find center of your blank and turn to round (if not already round) and then drill half way through, flip the blank and drill from the other end. When drilling I loosen my tailstock and slide the whole works, chuck etc drilling at a slow speed, constantly backing the bit out to remove chips. Some materials such as Delrin will melt if you drill at a too fast speed. After the piece is drilled to my liking, I then turn the tenon to fit my call and ferrule. As Robert said then flip it and finish turning,sanding etc. measuring with calipers to your satisfaction. You want it right before you remove it from the lathe. This is the method I use, I'm sure there are others but is the way I learned..hope this helps, Dave

flockbuster

Thanks Falcon,

If it ever gets below 95 degrees in my shop I hope to get finished setting everything up and actually try to turn something.

lumberjack

I turn mine almost exactly as these gentleman have described!! Good Luck!