turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

considering a Benelli Nova

Started by agent eight seven O, August 19, 2016, 04:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agent eight seven O

Anyone have any experiences with a Benelli Nova? How does this gun compare to the 870? I found one in excellent condition for $350. Thinking about picking it up. Any issues with durability? Thanks in advance for any info.

lmbhngr

If it's anything like the 12 gauge nova... The forearm rattles way to much for my liking

WildTigerTrout

I have owned one for quite some time. Mine is full camo 24" barrel.  I never had a problem with the forearm rattling on mine.  It is lightweight which makes it nice for running and gunning.  I took it to a good gunsmith and had it drilled and tapped and mounted a Bushnell TRS 25 red dot sight on it.  I really like the thing.  I also like the Rem 870 too. IMO either is a good choice.  The Benelli is lighter though.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

aaron

I know a lot of folks like them.  I bought one last summer and hunted it one day last fall.  I came home and promptly put it on armslist.   The forearm rattle was unbelievable.  I used the proceeds towards an m2 and couldn't be happier.  The nova wins the loudest gun in the woods award.  Not a prize you want In the turkey woods

davisd9

Put a good sight on it to match up poa and poi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

If i were you i would get the 870 rem. you will find a lot more items you can put on the gun like stock and other stuff. You will be glad you did...

g8rvet

Quote from: davisd9 on August 20, 2016, 04:27:27 PM
Put a good sight on it to match up poa and poi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2
I had one in 12 gauge (I won it in a raffle and basically got what I paid for, it was worth the raffle ticket in my opinion as a turkey gun).  I used it for waterfowl hunting and after a year or two, I got used to it and killed birds fine.  Turkey hunting?  What a bust. I put sights, optics, changed chokes and loads and could never get that gun consistent.  It was terrible on POI and POA and it would vary within the load/choke combos.  I missed 2 birds with it.  I gave it away to a guy that lost all his guns in a fire and warned him not to use it for a turkey gun. I even suggested selling it and using the proceeds to buy a gun he wanted.  I had a buddy that owned one with a similar experience.  My nephew has one and says it is fine (but he has missed a turkey with it!?!?!?!?!?!?). 

Don't know anyone with a 20 gauge.

I do know I took my son's 20 gauge 870 youth and spent less than $100 on it and it is a 40 yard turkey killer now.  Consistent, light weight and fun to shoot. 

Your mileage may vary. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

yelpaholic

Gooserbat

Last year my Dad and I both switched to a 20.  I opted for the 870 and Dad got a Nova 20.  Nothing but poi/poa problems from the Nova. There was not enough adjustment in either the truck mgd or Williams friesights. He's currently looking at other guns and considering something else before this spring.  Now the 870, well it just works and upgrades are easy to get 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

cphill

I own both 870 and Nova.the Nova is a better built gun in my opinion and fits me better...If u need a saddle mount the Nova 12 GA mount fits perfectly