North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Caught the bug BAD in Iowa!

Started by HawkeyeGobbler, July 27, 2016, 07:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawkeyeGobbler

Hey all

Another Hawkeye here, seen a few of you guys on here while I've lurked before this past year. Finally got around to making an account as of late.

I've duck hunted my entire life and been a huge fisherman and trapper. Well unfortunately here in Iowa turkeys were reintroduced 30-some odd yrs ago...meaning lots of folks dads and granddads don't have a lot to offer when it comes to turkey hunting. When I was real little I would pester dad and grandpa to let me shoot a turkey and being good sports, they bought me a fall tag a couple years. Dinged a hen and a jake back to back years and I was hooked!!!

Talk about frustrating though, it was always happenstance when I shot one. One was shot while duck hunting and the other while squirrel hunting. When I went "turkey hunting" (loosely haha) in fall I never saw squat. When I got old enough to go alone I tried for spring birds I sucked royally and went many years eating tag soup. I was in (and then moved) to a part of the state that turkey hunting isn't great. After a few birdless years I dropped a jake that I actually hunted "correctly" and the fire was lit again. Fast forward to this year when I scouted, called and shot only my 3rd tom and my biggest ever!! I am HOOKED now...this was 4th season this year and I've been all about turkey ever since. Next year can't come soon enough...Even more exciting is the fact I've moved to an area MUCH better for turkey hunting. Seen a ton scouting and my buddy has put out cams and sees a lot, longbeards LOOK OUT!!  :newmascot:

Matter of fact, I've sold my deer gun to buy more turkey stuff and as some might know, Iowa deer hunting isn't anything to scoff at! Been practicing calling too. Never thought I was that good but this year I sucked my tom right in. What a rush. Looking back as a kid I feel pretty bad about sneak swatting a hen and jake... but such is life, hindsights 20 20 and I was just a kid.

Anyway, that's my story, other than turkey hunting I love to rabbit hunt especially behind dogs, I duck hunt like a crazy man and I love to trap. Between the above I love trout fishing as well. Also, sorry IA Clone fans here, but GO HAWKS!  :wave:

Can't wait to get to know you folks as this forum seems a thousand times nicer and more helpful than most I'm on.

Brian Fahs

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

mgm1955

Gawhitaker

Bowguy

Welcome, this is a great place w lots of knowledgeable folks. Seems you'll fit right in

wvhoyt19

Welcome from WV!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Welcome! and what part of Iowa do you hail from?

MK M GOBL

Trkyhuntr4life

Welcome aboard!  This is the best forum for turkey talk IMO, and a lot of great info can be acquired here!  I have hunted turkeys since I was 11 in MS on public land, I'm 32 now and got to hunt IA for the first time last year!  Let me tell you I envy your opportunity there!  Not only is the deer unbelievable there so are the turkeys!  I was fortunate enough to take my biggest bird to date, and possibly my biggest bird ever there last year.  I can tell you they are there in big numbers with lower pressure than Mississippi for sure!  Anyway, if you have any questions I'm sure we all would be more than happy to help. Oh and here is my Iowa bird. 27lbs 11 1/4" beard 1 1/4" spurs!  I'll definitely be applying for a non res tag again this year!

1iagobblergetter

Welcome aboard!!! Nice to see yet another fellow Iowan!! Alot of great,helpful,knowledgeable people on a well run site. I also love to deer hunt,but the turkeys take precedence. I'm not really into the Cyclones or Hawks,but if I had to cheer for one I guess it would be the Hawks due to my daughter graduating from Iowa University this past spring.