OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

taking my boy

Started by sonar83, April 05, 2011, 06:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonar83

I am taking my boy for the youth hunt in Iowa.  I have a blind that I could set up, I have a pretty consistent turkey area, should I take him in the blind or go with the ole shotgun and the box call

sugarray

I don't really understand.  Are you asking if we think you should take your son or hunt alone?  If so then there really isn't a question here, It should always be TAKE YOUR SON.  How can he learn to love it if he never goes.

bowhunter84

i think he's asking if he should take the blind or not......

it depends on you and your son. if you think he can handle sitting still and be able to move only when he needs to than i'd say go without it. in most cases with young kids i'd say use a blind. that way they can move around a little and help hide their movement when the time comes to get ready to shoot

sugarray

Then I am truly sorry.  You should take the blind.  It will allow him plenty of movement when he gets ancy as well as allowing you to talk to him when the birds get close.  The turkeys will not mind it at all.  A blind is a beautiful thing when dealing with little ones.

csgrizz

Take the boy for sure.  I have a pop up blind and a carpet that I pack in so he has a place to play.  Been taking him since he was 2 and he will quietly play with his trucks until there is something interesting for dad to point out.

At 4 he helped dad call in a bird for mommy and watched the entire thing.

Please PROTECT HIS HEARING if you will be using a gun in close proximity to him.

have fun,

later,

CS

tiggere

LOL...mine wanted to take his Ipod touch in case he got bored !!!...he stuck it out like a trooper though...one thing I will say about this is when HE'S ready to go its time to go...if he associates hunting with you making him stay out all day he will not want to go back...oh and to answer your question...I guess it depends...if he's been hunting before and can be still then go for it...but if your not going to run and gun I would say take the blind...

I also agree with csgrizz on the hearing protection...I have a pair of these (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=103666) and make my son wear them while we are out...they also allow him to hear the birds gobble better...

WyoHunter

Protect his hearing for sure! Have a safe and happy hunt with your son!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!