turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

weird turkey hunting tips

Started by hotspur, July 12, 2016, 04:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

Remember that turkeys are not like deer. They dont go lay up in thickets and wait until dark to move. They are actually on their feet moving around all day , so if you can hunt all day , do it.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

BowBendr

When you're hunting in steep mtn. areas like the Appalachians watch them call lanyards hanging around your neck....running a ridge to close on a gobbler is fun, but an errant branch and slick leaves makes for an excellent hangmans platform...experience talking here...

deerbasshunter3

renegade19

Dtrkyman

Learn to shoot with your off hand.

In steep terrain where birds like to gobble just over a rise and never show themselves just stand up mostly behind a larger tree instead of sitting, has worked for me multiple times on those peek aboo gobblers!!!

catman529

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 04, 2017, 07:28:01 PM
Learn to shoot with your off hand.

In steep terrain where birds like to gobble just over a rise and never show themselves just stand up mostly behind a larger tree instead of sitting, has worked for me multiple times on those peek aboo gobblers!!!
I've shot fall turkeys and deer standing but never called one in standing. It's an idea I've considered for bowhunting, if there's a real big tree nearby. But I don't try bowhunting turkeys often enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Take one shell with you, that way if you miss you can go back to the truck and get another one...

Yoder409

Quote from: tomstopper on November 08, 2016, 01:52:30 AMWhen running and gunning, always look to see if there is any cover that you could get in before you let out any calls.

Good one !!!

I always quickly figure out my setup BEFORE the first call goes out.  Got burned on it once.   ONCE.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Quote from: Bowguy on August 03, 2016, 06:16:16 PM
When you take a bathroom break in the dark, squatting n are wearing suspenders, hold em so you don't drag em through anything. Ugh

Awkward..................

But..................... (or butt).............. GREAT advice !!!

Pull them suspenders through, up between your feet.  If the terrain allows, find a small tree on a slope you can hang on to.  Grippin' tree uphill.................. business end downhill.............trajectory being what it is will keep you and your britches clear of all jettisoned cargo.

You don't wanna be that guy.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Seresto dog or cat flea collar cans make a RAMBO friction call container !!  Wash them out well with hot, soapy water first.

Chinet Cut Crystal plates make a perfect 10" circle for counting pellets on patterning paper.  You get a dozen of 'em for $3.50 or so in the paper plate section of the supermarket, Wally World, etc..............
PA elitist since 1979

g8rvet

I thought of one.  If you hunt sandy public land, use a broken off green limb to lightly sweep out gobbler tracks as you are leaving or when scouting.  No sense in leaving them for others to find!   A buddy of mine swore by that.  Some days, he did more sweeping than scouting.  He did and does kill a lot of turkeys.............hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

backforty

When hunting with a scope or red dot make sure your barrel is clear of branches.  I was running and gunning on an old logging rd a few yrs ago and had a gobbler answer within 20  yds of me behind a mound.
I just dropped into the prone position on the rd and waited for the bird to poke his head around the mound. When he did I put the dot on his head and fired.  I was proud of myself for pulling it off till I went around the mound and just saw the tops of tail feathers. I went back and laid in the same spot and realized there was a sapling that was bent over and was about a foot off the end of my barrel that ate most of my pattern and I never saw it in my scope.   The funny thing I saw a buddy in that same area the next day that had shot a turkey. I was telling him the story and he said well that explains this.  He opened the fan fan on the bird he had shot and the center feather on the fan were missing the top portion.
Print by Madison, on Flickr

catman529

Quote from: g8rvet on February 08, 2017, 08:08:59 PM
I thought of one.  If you hunt sandy public land, use a broken off green limb to lightly sweep out gobbler tracks as you are leaving or when scouting.  No sense in leaving them for others to find!   A buddy of mine swore by that.  Some days, he did more sweeping than scouting.  He did and does kill a lot of turkeys.............hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
too much effort for me. People are gonna hunt there anyway and you can't sweep up a gobble heard across the hollow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cutt

Be patient with a morning gobbler on the limb, he must take his morning poop first before flying down. If he flies down too soon, he might chit himself on the way down.

Gooserbat

The straw in the bottom of the orange sherbet push ups we all are as kids make good suction yelpers.

An empty bread sack will keep a box call dry and allow you to play it when raining.

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.