OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

weird turkey hunting tips

Started by hotspur, July 12, 2016, 04:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy hooker

I have used crazy glue to fix turkey slate,pot calls,,never get close and blow on it to make it dry faster, or you may end up having to shave off your mustache,,,take it from experience :-\

ferocious calls

The morning you decide to sleep in, they were willing to play.

Those toms you had fired up at dawn are still in the area and may want to play as you head back home before quitting time.

Things can change in the turkey woods in a second.

Find lonely toms' in the fall on the roost and call them in just like springtime.

Many know this many don't, a gobbler has an extra long middle toe. His tracks show this......study them and see for yourself. Knowing there is a tom working an area is more than half of the equation.

Uncle Tom

Few years back, was calling a bird in about 9:00 one morning and had laid my gun down in my lap trying to get a Mad hatchet call to make a purr..completely forgot about the gobbler that was closing distance fast...heard something running and looked up and two big gobblers were making a bee line straight toward me...one trying to out run the other...first one jumped over a log right into my chest...wings flapping...all over me. Took flight straight up...swung and got off a round...missed and swung to other one out front of me about 20 yds...fired and missed...he flies off directly in front of me...fired again...nothing. All this happened in 10-15 seconds...well, I sat there thinking what an  of a mess I just made. Told this story many times...many say did not happen..no way. Some times you get the turkey, sometimes turkey gets you.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Swampchickin234 on July 13, 2016, 01:31:18 PM
Don't leave home without paper lol.   Never ever leave home without it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could also use your sock tops if the situation required. Given this advice years ago but have yet to try it.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Cut N Run

Carry a camo bandanna in your vest or spare pocket.  It can be used under a headnet when temps are cold to keep your face warm and it can be used in case of emergency if you run out of paper.

Take a clean, empty plastic bread bag to run your box call in if it rains.  You can also put the bag over a gobbler's head before you put him in the game bag of your vest to prevent the vest from getting soaked with blood on the hike out. 

Luck counts, good or bad.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Cut N Run on October 27, 2016, 11:29:47 PM

Take a clean, empty plastic bread bag to run your box call in if it rains.  You can also put the bag over a gobbler's head before you put him in the game bag of your vest to prevent the vest from getting soaked with blood on the hike out.

Like these ideas!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Flounder

Sharp knife! Used to cut them draws off if you left your paper home.

tomstopper

Not really weird advice but something that you may find helpful:
When running and gunning, always look to see if there is any cover that you could get in before you let out any calls. After numerous times of just running and gunning across ridges and having birds answer my calls just yards away and me scrambling to find cover, I learned to just slow down a little and survey my surroundings first and it improved my odds. Good luck

AR Cowboy

Best two pieces of advice I've seen here;

1) If you think it is time to move, stay at least another 30 minutes. This paid off for me this past season. My wife and I were up against a tree overlooking a small clearing. We had been there about 30 minutes and the gobbler got quiet shortly after we sat down. I was thinking, "well, might as well move on from this bird"- then remembered this very rule (had heard it from another turkey hunter). 20 or so minutes later 2 strutters came right out in front of us. Your odds are almost never better moving somewhere else blindly than they are just staying put where you've laid your trap.

2) Take plenty of water. Go to an army surplus and pick up a couple canteens. These are what I carry, they go great on a belt so you don't have to find somewhere in the vest for them.

sasquatch1

Quote from: Farmboy27 on July 15, 2016, 06:05:19 PM
when you're walking and calling trying to strike a bird and one hammers back right there but out of sight below a ridgeline or thick cover, don't sit down  Sitting will only cut down on how far you can see.  Step to the nearest tree, get you're gun up, and kill him when he appears.

Ive left scratching me head a few times wishing I would've done that!!! Sucks when u can hear them walking not ten yards below your feet but u cant see them!

saltysenior

relax and enjoy the hunt no mater of the result............don't get like them crazy deer hunters :character0029:

Chordeiles

Quote from: Farmboy27 on July 15, 2016, 06:05:19 PM
when you're walking and calling trying to strike a bird and one hammers back right there but out of sight below a ridgeline or thick cover, don't sit down  Sitting will only cut down on how far you can see.  Step to the nearest tree, get you're gun up, and kill him when he appears.
.   Lots of great advice here fellas! This is one I'll definitely try to implement in the upcoming spring.

boatpaddle

Always pay attention to crows......That fussing they are doing in one spot for a longer then normal time is usually going to have a gobbler involved....

Learn to listen to the woods.....Why is that squirrel barking, or that blue jay is fussing for a reason.....Gobbler coming in.... ;)

NEVER eat chili the night before a hunt & then wear bibs....The opening at the top of the bibs sends the funk right up under your facemask..... :-\
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

catman529

Quote from: EZ on July 13, 2016, 11:05:48 PM
Hunt the last hour with the same enthusiasm as the first hour.
yes I agree

catman529

If you got all day to hunt, and you tried to work a gobbler earlier in the day but he went silent or whatever...move around and try to strike a bird elsewhere throughout the day, but if all else fails, come back later and try to strike that bird up again...sometimes they are still alone, still in the same area, and will make an appearance close to sunset cause they want a hen to roost with.