turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is my turkey flock getting too low?

Started by Galvin900, April 04, 2011, 11:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galvin900

The season opens in Oklahoma Wednesday 04/06/11. The land I have to hunt is around 300 acres and the flock has one gobbler, three Jake's, seven hens, eleven total.
I just found out yesterday that the owner has given permission to another hunter also. Luckily he can only hunt Saturdays, I can hunt anytime. The other hunter said after the gobbler was killed he didn't want to take a Jake because he says they are better breeders for the hens, and the flock is small.

Before speaking to the other hunter who seems to be a great guy and may become a hunting buddy. I had plans to take the gobbler with gun and a Jake with bow. Then leave the hens and two jakes to grow the flock for next year.

If he or I get the gobbler should we leave the jakes alone? Shouldn't the hens have breeded already? There are so many variables I think the flock was 13 but coyotes may have gotten two. Would like to have a bigger flock next year on this land.

bowhunter84

Quote from: ksgobbler on April 05, 2011, 08:58:40 AM
If you only have 11 id kill the gobbler and leave the rest. Have more gobblers next season that way.
:agreed:

WyoHunter

Quote from: ksgobbler on April 05, 2011, 08:58:40 AM
If you only have 11 id kill the gobbler and leave the rest. Have more gobblers next season that way.
And hope for a good hatch this spring! Sounds like some predator control might be in order too.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!