turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

No ability at all

Started by 2eagles, June 14, 2016, 08:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

When it comes to pot calls, I need help. I sit and practice in my den and do ok. In the woods, the only thing I can run is my slate. Don't know if it's the excitement of the hunt or if it's my calls, but I blame me. So, I'm curious about a new call. What might be considered an easy surface to call on? I'm wondering about aluminum. Through some ideas at me, please.   

:thanks:

dejake

what surfaces do you have that you're having trouble with?

CMBOSTC

It sounds like you may be having problems with moisture. When you decide to run a surface like glass, condition it a little and make sure that it is good and dry. The dew of early mornings are rough on a playing surface.

Chris

pappy

When it comes to pot calls, I need help. I sit and practice in my den and do ok. In the woods, the only thing I can run is my slate. Don't know if it's the excitement of the hunt or if it's my calls, but I blame me. So, I'm curious about a new call. What might be considered an easy surface to call on? I'm wondering about aluminum. Through some ideas at me, please. 
Noone can say they are perfect when it comes to running a turkey call. Even turkeys get off key and out of pitch sometimes. But, 99% of the time it is unfortunately user error when it comes to running a call. I should know because 99% of the time I struggle running calls. hey the truth is simply put...if you can run it inside then you should be able to run it outside. If it is a moisture issue, being that you can run the slate and not the others outside, then you should find an all weather striker like the one from Beard Hunter or a Hook's super striker...then if you can run your pots problem solved....if it is an issue with the striking surface clean with alcohol pad and try it again, if the surface is too smooth take you some 220 grit and run it across the surface and try again...NEVER quit....take a deep breath and hit the woods....do not put too much pressure on yourself...you are not in a calling contest...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

SteelerFan

I'll agree there is a certain amount of "stage fright" when it comes to talking with a real gobbler - more so on a call you are less confident on. Slate can be very finicky in cooler temps, damp, etc. like others have said.

Brad Roberts new glass over aluminum combo is one of the easiest playing calls I've used. I KNOW what sound is going to come out of that call each time. Other makers are using that combo too - and it was good enough for Kimmy Hanks to take the DD Adams with it.

You might want to try a good glass / aluminum call? Play around with a variety of strikers too - the right striker makes a world of difference in a calls "playability".

yelpy

Quote from: 2eagles on June 14, 2016, 08:30:09 AM

:thanks:

Me too. LOL! Some times it just depends on the way I am sitting holding the gun on my leg. I try to hold the call the same as I do in the house when sitting on the couch. I been practicing sitting on the floor just like I would sit in the woods. I think it has a lot to do with the angle your holding the call at when in the woods compared to holding it in the house. Also the sound will be different in the woods because of the echo you get in the house. Moisture is a pain too. This year has been bad for that.

greengunner

What type of striker you use can also be a factor. I have a Cox tigerwood that is a bear for me to run if I'm not paying attention to what I'm doing. Them I have a Padauk from a local maker that damn near runs itself.

Gobbleandgrunt

Quote from: MDTOM84 on June 14, 2016, 08:55:40 AM
Jimmy Schaffer's new aluminum/aluminum is a easy smooth running pot and sounds great for aluminum

This call is a great call. I have two. It is loud and forgiving. It doesn't need finess, the rougher the better. I believe this to be a great easy to run call for anyone. No maintaining it either. Ran mine all season.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I used to be able to play a guitar really good when I was by myself.  When friends came over and I tried to play I fumbled all over the place. Lost all my composure.  It's the same category as "buck fever".    I think relaxation and confidence is key.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

wvmntnhick

Been there, done that. I've been known to make sounds that have made dogs cringe when faced with a gobbler blowing it up on the roost. Seems that's my hardest time to call. Once I get settled down things go much smoother. Two calls I used a ton last year that seemed to do very well for me were a couple of Yingling pots. One was an aluminum and the other a crystal. The crystal is by far my favorite call in my vest at the moment. Probably because I've played it a ton and have the most confidence in that pot but so far, I've yet to make what I felt to be an errant sound when the time was called upon. Love his calls. Got another couple coming real soon.

Ihuntoldschool

It may not be your ability at all.  Pot calls are notorious for sounding much better indoors than outdoors.  Not always, but it is common.

Dr Juice

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on June 14, 2016, 11:30:35 PM
It may not be your ability at all.  Pot calls are notorious for sounding much better indoors than outdoors.  Not always, but it is common.
X2

All The Way!

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on June 14, 2016, 11:30:35 PM
I'd second that notion to a degree. Still, I've had calls that sounded great inside and out but managed to jack it up when the adrenaline hit me. Wrong angle with the striker tip, too much pressure, etc. That's why I still chase the darned things though. If my heart stops speeding up when a gobbler replies to the call, I'll hang it up and walk away from the game.

howl

Stiff fingers, temperature and humidity differences, calls that were built and tuned to run differently...these are hurdles we all face.  I suggest having calls of a type all built to run the same way and limiting the number of calls and strikers. Limit your working collection  to what you can practice with enough to develop some muscle memory. Half asleep or full of adrenaline  at sunrise is no time to expect to remember all the details of a particular call.

HFultzjr

I have found that practicing inside, results in a difference in sound vs. outside.
Practice outside, in the yard, on porch/deck, etc.
Get in the same positions that you hunt in.
If possible get in some woods and practice.......nearby park, etc.
Then record yourself from a distance of about 50-75 feet.
Amazing how they sound from a distance.
Then have a friend who knows turkey sounds, listen to you from a distance.
No 2 people hear them the same.
Probably turkeys too.
Cadence and rythm are key points.
:OGturkeyhead: