turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Box call combo's

Started by wvmntnhick, June 22, 2016, 03:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Kind of started this elsewhere and figured it best to start another thread instead of hijacking the original post. Anyway, here's the deal. I've got several box calls and all of them have purpleheart lids (unless dad decides to go another route) but I'm looking for something else. The calls I've got so far are: Lonnie Mabry PH over walnut, Lonnie Mabry PH over Spanish cedar, SS PH over cedar, McKinnis PH over wormy chestnut and cedar (I think). I've got one other box that I bought from a member here for my dad for Father's Day. If I remember correctly it's walnut over poplar but I can't really recall as I didn't study over it long knowing that it wasn't purchased for me specifically. The only good thing that may come of this is that my dad is in love with the Mabry PH over Spanish cedar. That's the call he keeps talking about anyway. I'm going to take it along with the PH over walnut and walnut over poplar and see what he wants to do. Figured in the end, maybe it's best to just let him choose which he'd rather have. Regardless, I'm wanting to get another box for some strange reason. It's a known fact that a guy can only use one at a time but the custom call addiction has bit me just a bit. So far, when filling the vest or grabbing a few calls to hit the woods, other than making sure I've got my Yingling crystal (gotta have it with me as its my overall favorite at the moment) call, I can just grab whatever other pots and a box and hit the woods. While I tend to lean towards the SS box at the moment, whichever one my hand hits when reaching into the drawer takes a ride with me. I'm going to be looking for another box to replace the one dad is taking. I'd like something other than PH and will be getting the next one from Mike at spring creek calls. Really leaning towards a bloodwood lid. Could someone give me some input as to what base I should be looking at? Thanks in advance fellas.

CMBOSTC

Bloodwood over Butternut is excellent.

Chris

Dr Juice

My vote is: PH over cedar.

All The Way!

beakbuster10

I've got a snake wood over butternut made by Jeff McKamey that is phenomenal. Halloran jatoba over box elder that I really like and a dads Purple Heart over cedar. I've had about 10 boxes in the past year and three are the ones that stayed. I don't like to keep anymore than what I'll actually have a chance to hunt with. The dads has been with me for 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddie234

I have a butternut over cherry and a Purple Heart of cherry. The butternut sounds great the purpleheart is a screamer.

KentuckyHeadhunter

The Mabry PH over Spanish cedar is one of my favorite combos and mine has quite a few notches in it.  However, I still love the sound of classic walnut over mahogany.  Darren Dawkins version is an inferno of turkey. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Pettit877

Bloodwood make one of the best lid materials out there, I would recommend any of the following, bloodwood/butternut, bloodwood/limba, bloodwood/chestnut, bloodwood/ poplar.

Eric

vt35mag

Bloodwood/Butternut or Maple. I would check with Mike and see what he recommends too.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: vt35mag on June 23, 2016, 09:43:33 PM
Bloodwood/Butternut or Maple. I would check with Mike and see what he recommends too.
That's definitely in the plans.