OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Locator

Started by Brantley, May 30, 2016, 10:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozark870Hunter

Anybody ever heard of the old can of Coca-Cola locator/decoy trick?
Chug the soda pop on your way in. Let out a huge belch  to entice a shock gobble. Then stake a stick in the ground, prop the red can up on it and you have a red head decoy for the bird to hone in on.
I've heard it's been done.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

renegade19

My buddy does a barred owl by blowing into his cupped hands (don't ask me how) that always makes em gobble on the roost.  I use the woodpecker/peacock call.  It'll usually make them fire off on the ground. 

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

If I could only choose one I would go with a crow call.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

SwampRooster17

I've had them gobble to a owl hooter once but I've had good success with my crow call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRG3

The areas that I hunt seem to have an abundance of real owls that like to sound off way before first light. Gobblers typically answer which allows me to locate them without the aid of a locator call. In the rare instance when I need to use one, the ol' owl hooter seems to work well.

ferocious calls

I sell a mouth blown air horn called the Ferocious Shock Locator that lights them up. It has extended several slow day hunts for us. Locating from the road after fly down with this won't make him start to head to the road.

We used to use a call to locate from the road side but,have learned that method often had the bird heading for the truck after setting up.

Also we have found the toms' will often shock gobble at farther distances with the horn than the rest of the locators. We still carry traditional locators and use them when the hunt calls for them.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Bowguy on May 31, 2016, 08:05:05 PM
Owls, Hawks n crows don't hunt full grown turkeys

I had a Red Tail hawk try to make a meal out of one of my decoys once. Can't shoot em so I had to run out and chase him off. Thing hung around all morning. Owl and crow decoys do not get much response in my part of Va. Tree talk does good as I creep along the edges of the fields. In New Mexico I did not see many crows but when they sounded off - Turkeys gobbled.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.