turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1187 OG Bottomland

Started by rmokeefe1s, May 23, 2016, 06:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fieldturkey

There is absolutely no doubt that the older Remington's were built better than the modern ones. I'm a Remington guy and I won't buy a new one. Ill buy a pawn shop beater and fix it up before I buy a new one.

Dr Juice

Quote from: Fieldturkey on May 26, 2016, 07:43:08 PM
There is absolutely no doubt that the older Remington's were built better than the modern ones. I'm a Remington guy and I won't buy a new one. Ill buy a pawn shop beater and fix it up before I buy a new one.
What year is considered new? I'm assuming that Remington changed the internals ... I haven't been tracking any significant changes.

Uncle Tom

Fieldturkey, I bought a 1992 Rem wingmaster 870 in 2004 that had been shot one time, stored in safe and taken out and oiled every few months...perfect condition..walnut wood. Paid the guy $400..needed Christmas money. They are all steel receiver verses alum. in the 870's express, etc. Well have started to use as my turkey gun now and it throws a wicked pattern with the longbeards 3" 6's in 26" barrel. Now that season is over have replaced stock with a remington synthetic and am having dipped in Mossy Bottomland....weigth is 7.3 and handled like a 20 gauge...they are my facorite shotgun...hands down.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: mlisandro on May 26, 2016, 08:06:07 PM
What year is considered new? I'm assuming that Remington changed the internals ... I haven't been tracking any significant changes.
2007 was the big buyout. Personally, if I were to buy a gun, I'd be looking at something about 3 years prior to that. Remington was going downhill at that point anyway. The only model 700 that I'd buy at this point is the 700 AAC/SD. The chambers are cut elsewhere and this helps to insure that it's at least cut correctly.

tha bugman

Quote from: Farmboy27 on May 24, 2016, 08:46:39 PM
Think of the money mossy oak could have saved in developing new camos over the years if they knew that 20+ years down the road their first pattern would be the "coolest"!  Lol
What's old is new again...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tha bugman

I have an SP-10 in that same camo...I love that gun!!

Dr Juice

Quote from: tha bugman on June 06, 2016, 04:02:50 AM
I have an SP-10 in that same camo...I love that gun!!

I hunt with my cuz, he has the SP-10 in bottomland, and it's a turkey slayer.

Swampchickin234

If give a whole lot more for an old 870 than a new one I'll tell ya that. They actually work, and don't require all kinds of crap to get em to function properly.

Old Gobbler

You have to remember that Remington was collecting nearly $600 for a 1187 , back in ...1987 that's nearly 30 years ago , and yet they have kept the price point at about that after 3 decades

If we were to add in inflation that would be $ 1263.70 in today's money .....so in a sense a 1187 is half the price as it once was .....market pressure from imports have likely pressured them to cut corners to keep those shotguns affordable , the walnut stocks with checkering , and high gloss blue jobs seem to be a thing of the past on most if not all the standard models , to be honest $500 for a bottomland 1187 seems like a bargain , you can hardly get a pistol for that these days

Remington was cutting edge performance and quality decades ago , but until recently they have slid market share badly to higher quality and performance imports , most notably bennelli --

I own 4 1187's  and have shot many if not every high end auto on the market but the one I prefer as a all around waterfowl/ upland would be the Remington Versa Max I like the the gun shoots over the inertia guns

I had a buddy who owes a Remington 1187 bottomland and had nothing but trouble with it , I was shocked when he told me of the issues he had with it , I think he got a beretta and is much happier with it , I'm gonna reach out and see if he still has it
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon