Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Giving Turkey Calls Away.... WE JUST CANT DO IT!

Started by markjm15, May 12, 2016, 03:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markjm15

Okay guys, Im not one to rant or vent but I have to. I would also like to know if anybody is in the same boat. I have close friends and even family members that constantly want me to make calls for them to just GIVE AWAY. I dont mind making calls for my close friends or family members a couple times but good grief! I cant be doing it all the time! When we as custom call makers get an order, its a very rewarding feeling to have somebody love your call and you make a little extra cash on the side. I dont make calls every day and when I do its after work or on the weekends when I like to spend time with my family. So when I make calls I like to be rewarded for my work. I am giving four calls away for free this weekend to one of my close friends for a couple of his buddies to try out. My calls are sold mostly by word of mouth. It gets annoying when somebody wants me to make a call and then they tell me "Oh this guy is a big shot im giving it to, he'll get you a ton of orders". I've been burned there before. Ive given people calls to "try out" and then havent heard a word from them or their buddies since. I love to make calls and any profit I make most of the time goes right back into them with materials and time. If a "big shot" wants one of our calls then i'm sure they can afford to buy one and show it off. Maybe im overreacting but does any body else have issues like this? I do not mind one bit making a call and cutting some guys a break but when I know they are fully able to afford it, dont try to rip me off. Okay. Rant done.  :angry9:
Mueller Custom Calls

-Mark Mueller

nsselle

You said the answer yourself, just say hey man this material is expensive and my time is valuable. Just give them the price if they don;t want to spend money, well if you live in the same world I do, nothing is free. Your gestures are very nice but obviously its wearing on you. Good luck man.

outdoors

SEND ME A CALL AND I WILL TELL YA IF YOU SHOULD START CHARGING ........ ILL PAY SHIPPING .....
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

markjm15

Quote from: outdoors on May 12, 2016, 06:47:07 PM
SEND ME A CALL AND I WILL TELL YA IF YOU SHOULD START CHARGING ........ ILL PAY SHIPPING .....

Lol I'll get right on that!
Mueller Custom Calls

-Mark Mueller

outdoors

:TooFunny:  hey we need a good laugh  now N then in the hard times we live in now days   :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Happy hooker

Mark
I won't ask for one of your calls,,

"But can I hunt your land"

markjm15

:TrainWreck1:
Quote from: Happy hooker on May 12, 2016, 08:05:26 PM
Mark
I won't ask for one of your calls,,

"But can I hunt your land"

You can ask for as many as you want! They'll just run you 55 a pop lol
Mueller Custom Calls

-Mark Mueller

SteelerFan

Wow... I'm not a call maker, but I can recognize rude when I see (read) it. I would never ask a friend for a call without offering / insisting that I pay. If they offered it to me for free, I would still insist on paying material costs, or at least drop off a favorite beverage or six.

Next time, just tell them your fresh out of the free ones - but you have some for sale.  ;D (I know, easier said... They shouldn't put you in that position.)

markjm15

Quote from: SteelerFan on May 12, 2016, 09:27:01 PM
Wow... I'm not a call maker, but I can recognize rude when I see (read) it. I would never ask a friend for a call without offering / insisting that I pay. If they offered it to me for free, I would still insist on paying material costs, or at least drop off a favorite beverage or six.

Next time, just tell them your fresh out of the free ones - but you have some for sale.  ;D (I know, easier said... They shouldn't put you in that position.)

And the hardest thing about it is the position it puts me in! I spend a lot of time on my calls ensuring they are the best that they can be. It just makes you annoyed with your friends and family when they ask for stuff like this. Again, I'd do it in a heart beat the first time but I can't be expected to hand out freebies to every friend of a friend they have!
Mueller Custom Calls

-Mark Mueller

Waynesworld23

I can understand you feel I'm a mechanic and at least once a week a friend or family member needs there car looked at. Sorry for my mini rant
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

ferocious calls

Quote from: SteelerFan on May 12, 2016, 09:27:01 PM

I have used this exact line before. A hunting bud came to the shop after he had an unsuccessful spring season and said he was interested in a call. While he was gandering at all there is to see there, I grabbed a call off of the top shelf (The spot I set some of my favorite sounding calls) and started his way. I ask " what kind of call are you looking for", he replied, " a free one. Without pause I spun around and set that singer back on the top shelf and said, "we are fresh out of those ones". "Twenty bucks will get you a winner". " What, to cheap".  Truth- Never saw him again. Truth- I was headed his way to give him the call until his free one comment.

mspaci

I only make them for very close friends or relatives, everyone else pays. I might make one for a land owner that lets me hunt or as a gift like a birthday  or repayment of a favor too. I have had friends of friends come right out and ask for one, no way. Mike

yelpy

Have them pay for the materials at least and have them cut your lawn or have them detail the wifes car or do some work around your house for you etc. Trade offs... They will get the idea. It takes time to build calls and I am sure it is hard to make the time with the way things are today.   

SinGin

About 3 years ago I made a couple of calls for a guy and just gave them to him because he seemed t really appreciate them then last year he had the nerve to ask me for 8 more. I told him I was all out of wood for now

turkey buster

I have a buddy getting into making and selling calls, and oh my at what I've heard! I tried helping him on here and he's asking $50 for a pot and custom one piece strikers. Most every PM I received wanted him to sell it for $20 or less "because that would get his name out there". My buddy works in the oil field and is home half the year or less. That's when he makes his calls and like you have said his time is valuable with his family as he has less of it as most of us. I found it appalling that some people on a respected sight as this wanted his calls for basically nothing. Common decency would be if you're not interested in paying $50 just keep your mouth shut and buy one that fits your fancy, not ask a man to make you one for nothing.