OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

steel shot for turkeys

Started by 101st501, May 07, 2016, 12:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

101st501

Has anyone ever shot BB size steel shot through a turkey choke? I wonder what type of pattern it would make?

chadly

What would be the reason for doing so?  I would not want to try steel in a turkey choke or want to use it turkey hunting. 

Greg Massey

Agree, i wouldn't want steel in mine either. Paid way to much for my turkey guns.. I guess you could try steel like you were waterfowl hunting with gun and choke, most of those chokes are more open. Again it's all about the PATTERN of what your trying to shot. You own it to the turkey to take it as humanly as possible. So again i guess it's how it's pattern and capability of the steel shot.

SteelerFan

That would be illegal in MD. Nothing larger than # 4's. And like mentioned, it would mess up any tight choke.

More importantly, steel shot sucks. Bad enough to use it on waterfowl.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

owlhoot

supremepredator

Quote from: 101st501 on May 07, 2016, 12:02:39 PM
Has anyone ever shot BB size steel shot through a turkey choke? I wonder what type of pattern it would make?
just get some long beard xr (or if you have deep pockets) get the mother of all Turkey loads, hevi shot and be done with it.
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

Bowguy

Most extra full chokes say lead only. If you put steel, especially big steel through a turkey choke you'll blow barrel. Besides aiming for head you need pattern density Bb shot won't give. Also steel loses energy faster. Don't do it

g8rvet

I would assume BB steel would bulge a tight constricted choke like a turkey choke.  I don't know that, but would never try it.  Why would you want larger pellets, with less energy and less count?  I just don't see any REASON to do this. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Dtrkyman

Guys always talk about steel blowing up a turkey choke, I have shot hevi shot type stuff for coyotes through a 660 in t and b shot sizes ad they pattern very well.  As far as bb steel not sure how it would pattern but think it would be terrible for a turkey load!!!

Too many holes in the pattern for consistent head shots, and definitely a terrible idea to body shoot turkey with steel!!!!  Or any shot for that matter!

Old Gobbler

Steel shot is HARD and doesn't have any "give" to it as lead shot , running BB size shot it through a turkey choke is likely to stress the choke and barrel and cause damage , remember all those turkey chokes STAMPED " lead shot only

Steel shot is harder than lead but significantly lighter , I think it's only 60% or so..... as heavy as lead and quickly looses any kinetic energy , also the light payload is why those waterfowl loads get up to 1500+fps , but quickly drop off in velocity

Just 2 seasons ago I watched a buddy blow a steel shot rated choke tube wide open on a browning a5 , ruining the barrel ..... With standard 1300 fps steel #4 loads

Tungsten derivative type shot is way harder than steel , but again that's bird shot type pellets not BB size projectiles
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon