turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is the best combination?

Started by 101st501, May 07, 2016, 11:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

101st501

Hey guys, I'm looking for everyone's opinion on what is the best combination of choke and shell for a 835.  I currently shoot LB #6 and get a good pattern, but I am looking for something that will pack a little bigger punch.  There are a lot of hogs where I hunt, and I want to be able to put one down if I get the chance without having to be right on top of one.  I have and IC .675 and the factory Mossberg of .695 and get good results with both using the #6.  I was thinking of going to a #4 but was curious to see what everyone else has to say.   Thanks

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

ol bob

Pure Gold choke #4 Long beard I can put 200 + in  10"  with this combo and I think it would mess up a hogs day.

Gooserbat

Hard to say but for factory ammo Hevi 6 or Fed HW #7 are good options. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

101st501

Thanks guys.  Anyone else got any suggestions?

Greg Massey

Rifled choke tube and some Remington Buckhammer's

surehuntsalot

out of that .675, I would try some of the longbeard #4's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mikejd

Quote from: ol bob on May 07, 2016, 01:44:35 PM
Pure Gold choke #4 Long beard I can put 200 + in  10"  with this combo and I think it would mess up a hogs day.
[/quote

Are you getting those numbers at 40 yds. I am shooting the same combo but I have never broken 200. I get a real good pattern with almost no flyers. But those numbers are incredible with 4's.

ncturkeycaller

I have shot that gun with just about every choke made over the years.  The best combo that won't break the bank is the .690 Jellyhead and 3" magnum blend.  The 3.5" don't pattern as well and they are fairly brutal when shooting at paper!   

J.D. Shellnut

Long Beard #6 around thirty yards will kill him with a head shot. Unless its a shore enough big hog. If they give you the problems they give us. Like property and  habitat destruction and destroying nest . If I think I can kill him regardless of what gun or configuration I have I'm shooting him.
60% of the time it works every time!