OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Contitioningstrikers?

Started by Danger DAve, April 03, 2011, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danger DAve

Do y'all condition the tips of your strikers and if so how?  I noticed some of mine seem burnished and really smooth.  it doesn't seem like that would help in the friction department.  Sandpaper?  Scotch brite pad?  thanks.

jakesdad

I usually just use a scotch brite pad on mine.seems to work fine.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

West Augusta

I keep a little piece of sandpaper in my top vest pocket to use on calls and strikers.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

ctwny1

I uyse sandpaper just like West Augusta does.

archery1

120 GRIT SAND PAPER WORKS GREAT
Take a kid hunting

Basser69

bowhunter84

sandpaper works great or i have a primos conditioning stick and it has a place on it to condition you strikers

Danger DAve

trkehunr93

220 grit sand paper or the green scotchbrite or box call chalk, all will work. 

Nimrodmar10

Bill Zearing at Cody Calls showed me how to condition the striker for his calls years ago at the NWTF Convention. He said never use sand paper or abbrasive as that would change the contour of the end. He said the best way to do it is to just scrape it with the edge of your pocket knife. He also said to mark your strikers and never use a striker from a slate call on a glass call or the other way either. Both those pieces of advice have been working for a over twenty years.

WyoHunter

Quote from: bowhunter84 on April 04, 2011, 10:51:02 AM
sandpaper works great or i have a primos conditioning stick and it has a place on it to condition you strikers
Me too!  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

archery1

HUMMMMMMM... NEVER HEARD OF NOT USEING THE SAME STRIKER ON DIFFERENT PLAYING SURFACES????
Take a kid hunting

West Augusta

He must sell strikers also  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: Nimrodmar10 on April 04, 2011, 04:14:11 PM
Bill Zearing at Cody Calls showed me how to condition the striker for his calls years ago at the NWTF Convention. He said never use sand paper or abbrasive as that would change the contour of the end. He said the best way to do it is to just scrape it with the edge of your pocket knife. He also said to mark your strikers and never use a striker from a slate call on a glass call or the other way either. Both those pieces of advice have been working for a over twenty years.

To each his own.

I condition my strikers with 150-120 grit sandpaper (heavy cloth back).  I hold my striker, tip up, between my thumb and first 2 fingers.  I rotate the striker between thumb and fingers while using short strokes of the sandpaper from the center, outwards.  With this method I can maintain the "dome" shape that I put on my strikers.  This is the same method I use on every striker I turn to prepare them for customer use.  Maybe it's just me, but seems like using a pocket knife on the striker tip would both cause more damage to the striker and leave him open for liability for someone cutting themselves in the process.   To say that a striker should only be used on a single call surface... well, I never heard of that either.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!