Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First gobbler with o/u 20ga. (Updated with pics)

Started by old3toe, April 30, 2016, 02:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

Quote from: surehuntsalot on May 01, 2016, 09:31:54 PM
I really like that set up you got there, I've always said that an O/U would make a perfect turkey gun

same here, I keep thinking on it, just worried I would get one that the barrels aren't regulated close enough to same point of impact to be practical for turkeys

old3toe

I was worried about it too. It's always possible with double barreled guns but buying any gun for that matter is a risk that something isn't right.lol The yildiz guns are warrantied for three years and briley choke company does the warranty work. They are the only gun academy sports sells that can be taken back to them if something's wrong with it. They handle the shipping and recieving for you to and from briley. From what I understand its a no bs warranty. They will make it right if it doesn't shoot both barrels within what they consider specs on their guns or any other issues that might arise. I'm hoping I don't ever find out the fine details of returning one. Only time will tell. One thing I really like about them is there's no moving parts such as a pump and slide bars or charge handle and bolt. It handles a lot like a trim little single barrel only with two shots.

g8rvet

I really wanted a double trigger when I looked at 20 O/U's.  How is the barrel selector? If it is smooth and easy I reckon it is no different than flicking off the safety. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

old3toe

It's really smooth. The safety in the rear/safe position moves left right with a positive click without much force. Then to fire moves forward. With a little down pressure it's not as loud but I'm sure it'll smooth out even more with regular use. It really is a smooth little gun for what you have invested. I got the sights mounted this evening and the swivel studs installed. It really is begging to be dipped!!

J-Shaped

I handled one of these yesterday for the first time. I was pretty impressed with the balance and lightweight. It was the 28" barrel, but it's virtually the same length as a regular 12ga pump with a 24" barrel. The POI issue with the barrels has always steered me away from going the O/U route, but glad to hear that yours seems to be pretty well aligned. Keep us posted on anything else you do to it.

old3toe

I'll be sure and update as I go. When I get a chance I'll post a few pics of the sights I put on it. Might give others an idea how they look incase they're considering another sighting option regardless of gun they're using.

old3toe

Here's a few pics of the sights mounted on the yildiz.

old3toe

And here's a pic of the clamp on style swivel stud and sling.

g8rvet

Very sweet.  Love me an O/U.  I switched to one about 8 years ago for duck hunting and have never looked back. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

old3toe

Thanks. I really wish I'd have tried one sooner.lol Of course the short barreled models haven't been around all that long and some of the lower priced ones weigh a ton! I bet it's a fun duck gun too.

mathews bowhunter

What kind of choke system does the yildiz 20 use?

old3toe

I originally thought they were threaded for the mobile choke system but they aren't. I don't know what they are considered or called. To the best of my knowledge briley makes chokes for them as well as sumtoy. I believe tru choke might as well. You can also contact the company as several have bought chokes directly from the plant in Turkey. Academy also normally has some in stock. I got a full choke flush mount from my academy on clearance marked 4.95 but ring up 2.98 at the register. If you plan on shooting federal heavy weight 3" no 7's you really don't need an after market choke. My factory full shot an awesome pattern at 40yds with the heavyweights. The yildiz guns come with five chokes. Cyl bore, imp cyl, mod, imp mod, and full. I'm going to try the imp mod with the heavyweight 7's just to see how it does. I like a little more wiggle room shooting rifle sights instead of a holo sight or scope.

g8rvet

I have an old Win 101 in 20 gauge.  I have killed so many dove with it, I have lost count.  Used to dove hunt a lot.  Got it when I was 12!  It has a fixed I/C and Modified.  May need to run some HW through it to see how it patterns. Would be cool to kill a turkey with it.

old3toe

I'd deffinitely try them in that modified choke. I'd be surprised if it didn't hold up to atleast 35yds. Sounds like a nice gun! I'd like to try mine out on doves.

old3toe

Here's the pattern pics from the other day. The first pic is where I checked the poi/poa. I shot it from 25yds with 1oz field loads win 6's I believe. Modified choke in top barrel and full in the bottom barrel.

The second pattern was shot from 40yds with full choke in the bottom barrel with the 3" federal heavyweight 1 1/2oz no7's.

The third pattern was shot at 30yds with the top barrel, modified choke and federal premium heavy field load with 1oz of no 7.5 copperplated shot. It's no 30yd shell for turkeys however from 25yds in it should do the trick. I apologize for the lighting and cell phone pics. I had to crop them to get them to post and it brought them in really close. The tape in the center of the poster board is my aim point. I placed the bead at the bottom of the tape centered left to right.