OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Halloran slates; Wenge & Walnut vs Laminate... has anyone run both?

Started by Hankyorke, April 15, 2016, 01:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankyorke

I am looking for opinions and descriptions from those who have run David's new Wenge & Walnut slate and his laminate slate.
How do they compare, likes, dislikes, etc....

Thanks

mote1977

I have both calls and they are both great. To me, the laminate sounds more like what you would expect a slate to sound like if that makes any sense. The wenge/walnut has a higher pitch to my ears , kind of a cross between a slate and an anodized aluminum. Depending on the striker it can also have more of a traditional slate sound. I think the wenge/walnut is more versatile.

Jroddc

Quote from: mote1977 on April 15, 2016, 02:29:19 PM
I have both calls and they are both great. To me, the laminate sounds more like what you would expect a slate to sound like if that makes any sense. The wenge/walnut has a higher pitch to my ears , kind of a cross between a slate and an anodized aluminum. Depending on the striker it can also have more of a traditional slate sound. I think the wenge/walnut is more versatile.

BABS9

Id have to agree. The laminate has a more mellow tone. Wenge and walnut is like playing a glass call almost. Higher pitched. Wenge walnut is probably the best slate ive ever put my hands on. Both are great calls though.

Bowguy

2nd 100

X3 .
The Walnut / Wenge is extremely high pitched almost remenecent of the old Cody pots.
That is how it was designed to be .

The laminate pot is  more of a mellow call . different calling stratagies for different turkeys

vt35mag

Quote from: mote1977 on April 15, 2016, 02:29:19 PM
The wenge/walnut has a higher pitch to my ears , kind of a cross between a slate and an anodized aluminum. Depending on the striker it can also have more of a traditional slate sound. I think the wenge/walnut is more versatile.

Great description, I agree.

Stump.270

I agree but I also have David's solid walnut that sounds more like a glass call and will cut better than any slate I have ever heard and I have owned a couple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk