turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NEW CHOKE AND MAG BLEND THROUGH MY 835.

Started by mightyjoeyoung, April 03, 2011, 08:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyjoeyoung

So I picked up a SSX in .670 constriction for my 835. I normally go with the "higher end" chokes but I wanted to see how a 28 dollar choke performed in my tricked out 835 slayer.  I only had 35 yards to work with but I think I'm gonna be happy with this choke!  Shooting 3 1/2", 2 1/4 ounce, 5/6/7 Mag Blends in 40 degrees, with light winds left to right, at 34 yards, I got 100% on 24" paper, with 345 in the 10" ring and 65 in the 3"...and I pulled the shot a bit up and right!  To be honest, the pattern is almost too tight. But I think I'll manage. :icon_thumright:   After brushing between shots, the SSX patterned well with everything else but the Rem. Heavy HD 1 5/8 ounce loads, giving me tight even patters with everything from Fed. lead loads to Win. Sup. Elites in both 3" & 3 1/2".  On a side note, I did notice a much larger proportion of #5 shot compared to the 6's and 7's in the load when I counted pellet holes and also noticed some tiny pellet holes about the size of pin holes in the pattern paper.  Odd...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

ILIKEHEVI-13

That is a very good choke in the 835 no doubt.  Some may not accept that fact because it's made in China and probaly why some didn't reply here.   But it is what it is regardless.  I sure like mine.  And it shoots probably as good as any choke I have from what I have seen so far.  It may not beat my Star Dot, but then again it may if you were to shoot 10 shots from each choke and take an overall average.  

mightyjoeyoung

Well I know I was pleasantly suprised!  This combo is gonna knock a bird FLAT to 50, make mush out of a turkey's head at 30 and. Could take a head off inside 20.  I just wish it patterned as well with the HS HD 1 5/8 ounce loads. I did shoot them last and the mercury was dropping and the wind was picking up too as it started to snow shower right after I got everything picked up.  I'll give her a good cleaning and try em again when it warms up.  If I can get that combo up to par I'm gonna leave it in for the old man to use as the recoil is nothing compared to the really nasty stuff!  He's 75 and has a bumb shoulder so short of a 20 gauge (that is currently in the works) I think it'll work just fine.  He likes that gun as I have it set up with a thumbhole stock.  Out of all my turkey guns (2 835's and a SBE II) it patterns the best. Maybe ill just pick up another SSX for my other 835?  I run a PG in the benelli and it patterns well but nothing like my custom thumbhole 835.

goblr77

The SSX seems to be a very good "budget" choke in the 835's.

mightyjoeyoung

That darn thing actually shoots way better than I expected!  I have a card shooter kick's that I use at turkey shoots that might just get a break this fall...at least for a couple shots. ;)

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 04, 2011, 11:34:57 AM
That darn thing actually shoots way better than I expected!  I have a card shooter kick's that I use at turkey shoots that might just get a break this fall...at least for a couple shots. ;)

Joe, give me a sec and I will show you the first shot out of my SSX from my 835.  It should only get better with more shots down the tube I would think.  But this just goes to show you that if a choke is a shooter, you will know from the first shot if you feed it something good.    

ILIKEHEVI-13

mightyjoeyoung

Hope this works...re sized the pic of the pattern...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gobble!

I would really like to see how much the extra 6 yards would of affected that pattern

looks good  :icon_thumright:

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: Gobble! on April 04, 2011, 08:47:46 PM
I would really like to see how much the extra 6 yards would of affected that pattern

looks good  :icon_thumright:

I'm thinkin, even with, or especially with all those #5 pellets, that is one DEAD bird to 50 yards!!  (I try to never stretch a shot past that...it's a personal ethics thing.)

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase