turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First turkey gun

Started by Walton91, April 28, 2016, 12:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walton91

Hey guys, just recently got into turkey hunting and I'm addicted. My dad has an 835 that I've been using. I'm not a big mossberg fan though. I really like 870's. I'm looking at 2 different ones and have a question. I'm looking at a supermag model at dicks sporting goods. One has a 21 inch barrel, and other is 26 inch barrel. I really like the 21. Way it pulls up and feels. But I want this turkey gun to last and be happy with it. What are your guys opinion? 21 vs 26? Or any other model/brand preference? Thanks good luck hunting.

taylorjones20

Is this going to be a dedicated turkey gun?  Or are you going to use it for any other hunting such as dove or duck?

I prefer a 26" barrel on my shotguns but I use them for everything...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Bowguy

The 835 is about as perfect a turkey gun as you can get. Superior to all in a turkey gun if killing patterns, easily obtained are what you're after. Anything else you gotta work harder to get things as good or spend money to do barrel work n such

Walton91

" is this going to be a dedicated turkey gun? "
Yes sir it is.

I'm just not impressed with the 835. When I patterned it is
Shoots about 4 inches to the right at 30 yards. It was adjustable
Truglo sights but I couldn't get the pattern to move changing the sights.
I'm shooting longbeard #5's through it. I'm going to try changing the choke
To get it fixed. I also don't like where the bolt release it located behind the
Trigger. It may be the perfect turkey gun, but I like the feel of the 870
A whole lot better.

TrackeySauresRex

:wagon:
Here's some questions that you can look into..

What are the specs on your Dad's 835? How old? Barrel length. etc.etc.
Did you try a different shell? Me personally JMO, I'm not a fan of the longbeards. There too tight for me and unforgiving. They look great on paper but when bird is bobbing and weaving... Ya just may miss.
Win HV are more suited for me.
Would you stay with lead or possibly switch to Hevi?
Was the barrel deep cleaned?
Answer some of these and compare to what you have, look at the old threads on the 835 pattern board. The post will give the shell and choke combo along what the pattern looks like. I'm not saying your setup will shoot identical but it may be close. Or better,or worse.  It will help narrow your guesswork down.
   Your Dad's 835 needs to be tinkered with a little bit. Not unless you just want to get a new gun,and that's cool. The 835 has produced fantastic patterns here on OG.  I assure you won't be disappointed when you get it where it needs to be.
:anim_25:
This is what has worked for me.
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,62732.0.html
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

SteelerFan

If you like the 870, and your question is about barrel length... I would say 26" is a great all-purpose length. Allows for a smooth swing on doves, ducks, etc. Plus your buddies in a goose blind won't kick you out for blasting their ears with a short barrel.

That said, if this is gonna be a 90% - 100% turkey gun, then I would opt for the portability and "point-ability" of the 21". I understand what you're saying about the Mossberg. No doubt a turkey killing machine...but I've never really liked the "feel". It's a Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge thing, there...

:z-twocents:

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: SteelerFan on April 28, 2016, 03:31:57 PM
  I understand what you're saying about the Mossberg. No doubt a turkey killing machine...but I've never really liked the "feel". It's a Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge thing, there...
:z-twocents:

This sums it up well ^ You got to go with what makes you happy,comfortable and confident. And get the Chevi! Lolol!
:funnyturkey:
:anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Bowguy

Quote from: Walton91 on April 28, 2016, 02:20:01 PM
" is this going to be a dedicated turkey gun? "
Yes sir it is.

I'm just not impressed with the 835. When I patterned it is
Shoots about 4 inches to the right at 30 yards. It was adjustable
Truglo sights but I couldn't get the pattern to move changing the sights.
I'm shooting longbeard #5's through it. I'm going to try changing the choke
To get it fixed. I also don't like where the bolt release it located behind the
Trigger. It may be the perfect turkey gun, but I like the feel of the 870
A whole lot better.
Bud with all due respect patterning is different than point of aim. Majority of guns I've tested did not shoot point of aim especially with something as tight patterning as Longbeards. If you expect another gun to be "better" you're likely to be surprised. 4" is easily adjustable.
870 is a tested gun so you can't go wrong with it just understand what you experienced was normal n likely the Mossberg will outshoot any of them.
Bear in mind I have a safe full of Remington's, only 1 Mossberg so personally I'm not a fan either. Til you shoot one

Waynesworld23

I have the 21in barrel 870 super mag and love it I have it choked with a sumtoy .655 and it shoots hevi 6s real well when I tried long beard sixs the shot about 2in low not bad since I have added sights may switch when my hevi shot stash is up. If you buy a new Remington polish the barrel as soon as you get home they really need it right off the shelf. Mossberg is a good gun I had one just never favored it as much as much as the 870
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

Browning4140

I am also looking at the same gun at Dicks but I just kinda have a hard time dropping 500 for a 870. My local Walmart has a camo 870 for 379 with a 26" barrel. I had a 835 and had problems with it misfiring so it went on to a better place. But for now I am planning on getting a 870 for next year. For the rest of this year I will be using my 28" 870.

Waynesworld23

Don't be afraid to buy a used 870 you can take your extra money and dress it up to the turkey killer you want stock choke and etc.
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

Happy

Mossberg fan here. However if your an 870 guy go with it. If it's a dedicated turkey gun I would go 21" barrel. With an aftermarket turkey choke your now at closer to 23". That's all you need for turkeys. Regardless of choice I think you should invest in some adjustable sights.  Very few guns shoot to point of aim with tight turkey patterns. Even different brands will shoot differently. Good luck.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Walton91

Thank you all for your input. I'm going mess with the 835 some more. But I'm going to a few gun shops see if I can find that 870 cheaper than 500. Just want my own turkey gun, instead of having to borrow my dads. I'm really like the 21 inch barrel model.

akp

I had an 870 with a 21" barrel. I really liked it.  I will say that it seems Remington quality control isn't what it used to be though.  I had ordered a 21" barrel separate from the gun.  The rib was not all that straight. 

Also, I recently bought an 870 youth for my son.  Can't get 3" shells in the magazine.  Will have to send it in this summer.  Didn't realize until opening day of youth season that they wouldn't go without force.  Holds 2 3/4 fine.  Luckily, he killed his first two turkeys with single shots this season.

I'm a lefty so I now have a BPS, but I killed a lot of turkeys with my 870.  I found a 20.5" barrel for the BPS that has adjustable sights.  It just works better for me. 

winfila

I like the mossberg 535 turkey and waterfowl combo, it's 429.00 and dicks sporting goods. It comes with 2 barrels 22 " and 28 " and chambered in 3.5" as well. Gives you best of both worlds