turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

VERSAMX STOCK CHOKE

Started by vtstrutter, April 25, 2016, 01:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtstrutter

I just bought a new Versamax. It the turkey model with the 22 in barrel. I stuck with the stock choke for now since I read on here that someone was getting around 260 pellets at 40 yards with 3.5" LB #6. I shot the gun this weekend to pattern it and was not even close to that. I shot at a lasered 40 yards off a bench. I shot the longbeard 3.5" #6s with the stock choke. Best I got was 175. I shot some HV13 3" #6 and got around 160. Clearly nowhere near the 260 I saw on here. Looks like ill be buying an aftermarket choke.

Old Gobbler

That will kill any gobbler dead in his tracks at 40
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

vtstrutter

allaboutshooting

Quote from: vtstrutter on April 25, 2016, 01:48:37 PM
I just bought a new Versamax. It the turkey model with the 22 in barrel. I stuck with the stock choke for now since I read on here that someone was getting around 260 pellets at 40 yards with 3.5" LB #6. I shot the gun this weekend to pattern it and was not even close to that. I shot at a lasered 40 yards off a bench. I shot the longbeard 3.5" #6s with the stock choke. Best I got was 175. I shot some HV13 3" #6 and got around 160. Clearly nowhere near the 260 I saw on here. Looks like ill be buying an aftermarket choke.

As  long as you have a good, even 10" core pattern with no 2" or larger gaps, it sounds like you're ready to go with either of those shells and that choke. Have you shot any at closer ranges? it would be interesting to hear how it does at 20 or 30 yards but it sure sounds like you're set for 40.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Sealbilly

Nothing to sneeze at for sure!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

vtstrutter

Definitely not knocking the stock choke or the patters just wondering how other guys are getting almost 100 more pellets with the same set up.

dms2511

I am shooting the Versamax 22" barrel turkey model, and i have experimented with the stock choke, Kicks GT, Sumtoy, and Trulock chokes. All shot very well, but the best overall performance I have had has been with the Trulock .660 (non-ported) shooting Longbeard #5's. Im usng the Magnum Longbeards 3.5" loads with the increased payload, and it consistently shoots 225-250 pelletts in 10" circle at 40 yds. As mentioned, all shot more then good enough to take any turkey at 40 yds. I just really liked the Trulock because the pattern and coverage on the paper at 40yds. Pellett counts were higher on average with the Sumtoy, but it almost shot too tight in my opinion. Really was too afraid of missing birds at close range, but really depends on what you are looking to do.

vtstrutter

Yeah the season here starts Sunday so I'll hold off on a new choke for now but I'll definitely look into a new one after this season.