OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Done with my Mossberg

Started by Browning4140, April 23, 2016, 09:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAarrowslinger

Definately sucks that this happened. My turkey guns are mossbergs, remingtons and browning. Of all the dedicated turkey guns, my old school 835 is the one I prefer. I won't name which but I've had firing pin problems with one of these guns. it wasn't with either of my three 835 shotguns. Id it were me, I'd clean the bolt assembly with CLP breakfree and try the gun some more.

davisd9

So, everyone claiming to have this problem, what shells were you shooting?

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

decoykrvr

On an initial clean of any "new" gun which exhibits excessive grease I soak the bolt and other parts in white gasoline until they run clear.  It is important to properly re-lubricate the parts, I prefer Tri-Flow since it is not affected by low temperatures and both lubes and protects the metal.

rodl

My 835 has done it a couple of times while shooting LongBeards, It seems like everyone I know that has had an issue with this gun and misfires has been using the LongBeards, not sure if it was the shells or just coincidence that it happened when shooting those shells

Rodney

BigPimpin

I was calling for a friend and his clicked on the bird.  He got another shell in and killed.  LB6.  The following season, he called me one and my 835 clicked on the bird.  He got his Stoger up and killed.  LB6.  I read many report just like this.  Me and him both retired our 835s.  Now I shoot Benelli and LB6.  No clicks, only flops.
I'd rather be Drivin' > Disco.

davisd9

Sounds like some should trade in the Longbeards as well.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Yoder409

Quote from: davisd9 on May 03, 2016, 03:51:08 PM

Dunno.............

Been running them through a Remington, a New Haven Winchester and a pair of FN Winchesters without a hiccup.

I have NEVER been impressed with Mossberg quality, function or ergonomics and I don't see that changing for any reason at the present time.

:(
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

winfila

I have the cheapest mossberg and set up you can have. I am using the mossberg maverick 88 with the true glo choke and sight combo. Shooting winchester Longboards XR #5's and have killed 3 birds,  one  at 60, 40, and 68 yards. Buddy of mine talked me into the stoeger m3500 and it has been HORRIBLE,  just sent it to the factory today, it's shooting a foot low. Missed 2 birds one at 25 and 30, he talked so highly of them and i did not pattern my rookie mistake. Took my dirt cheap mossberg maverick and got my biggest bird last morning of our season this past Saturday.  He weighed 26.5lbs, 11.25 beard, and 1 1/8" spurs and he was the 60 yarder. Just my opinion it's not always the price or name of the gun, I have a 850.00 stoeger on a ups truck heading to the factory while a 200.00 dollar gun with the only 3 birds i have ever killed. I have only been turkey hunting for 2 years and relay on the experience of others. The gun i have been researching myself is the mossberg 935 turkey and waterfowl combo. So far have found only good reviews. I will be getting it as soon as my wonderful stoeger gets back and sell it. Hope this may help you out. I would look at the mossberg 935

Ericbrooks

I have never owned anything but a mossberg shotgun. Several 500s and 835. Never had one problem with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

Quote from: davisd9 on May 03, 2016, 03:51:08 PM
would be the first thing after trying other loads to be sure

Mike Honcho

I am the magnet for all guns with problems:

Franchi 912 3 1/2" auto...bought new used 2-3 seasons...it quit cycling dependably even though always clean and all parts in good shape...cost me a tom due to a miss on first shot.

Mossberg 835 bought new ...wouldn't eject 3 1/2" MagBlends...swelling the end of the brass, then started doing same thing with Win 3 1/2's...had to go to 3" only with it.

Mossberg 935 bought new... wouldn't cycle second round....shell lifter was defective.   Had to send new gun back to factory for fix...worked fine after that.

Stoeger 3500 bought new...choke threads machined improperly in 26" barrel, turkey choke tubes swelled (several brands) , steel shot choke tubes worked ok.   Bought new 24" barrel and solved problem, my expense.

BPS 10 Gauge bought new...Duratouch Camo turned to gunk...stripped and used Mossy Oak Gunskins to replace camo.

I should test guns before they release to public...I always get the ones with glitches!

Honcho

P. S. Shooting the Stoeger 3500, Benelli Super Black Eagle and BPS 10 now with no current problems.

trkehunr93

Could just be a flaw with the particular production line that yours was in.  I've had mine for 10 years and never had it do this.  The only issue I've ever had with a mossberg was my 500, it would short shuck on occasion, cost me a couple of follow up shots but it killed alot more birds than it did short shuck.  Plus short shucking was my fault by not slamming the foreend back hard enough on a follow up shot.

goblr77

Quote from: trkehunr93 on May 06, 2016, 09:52:23 AM
Could just be a flaw with the particular production line that yours was in.  I've had mine for 10 years and never had it do this.  The only issue I've ever had with a mossberg was my 500, it would short shuck on occasion, cost me a couple of follow up shots but it killed alot more birds than it did short shuck.  Plus short shucking was my fault by not slamming the foreend back hard enough on a follow up shot.

That short shucking problem is common with most 835's but can be easily and cheaply fixed. Replace the factory magazine spring & follower with a Wolff XP magazine spring and aluminum follower. You may have to cut a 1/4" or so off the wooden dowel used for a plug to accommodate the new setup. File off the end of the cartridge stop a little at a time until it releases the shell like you want it to. Mine will throw shells from the magazine to the chamber with ease, no matter how light I shuck the forend back.

husker

I had the exact same problem you described and was shooting WLB #5.  Had several misfires, etc.  Sent it back to Mossberg and they replaced the firing pin.  No issues since and I've killed 3 Toms with the gun since March.

I've been exactly where you are and was ready to toss it in the trash.  Just give Mossberg a call and they will take care of you.  Great customer service.