turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Done with my Mossberg

Started by Browning4140, April 23, 2016, 09:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browning4140

So before this season started I was looking for a new dedicated turkey gun and decided on a Mossberg 835 ulti-mag. I shot it a few times and loved the way it patterned. But then ran into a issue, misfires. I posted on here about the problem and several people recommend a good deep cleaning of the action to remove any grease and also make sure the mag cap was screwed down tight and I did both, and the problem seemed to have gone away. Took it out this afternoon to try a new choke and "click". Even though it has a warranty I am done with Mossberg. I am not going to take a chance with this gun when it comes time to fill a tag. So does anyone have any recommendations in a different affordable turkey gun. Thought about checking out the 870 turkey gun with the 21" barrel. As for now I guess I will use my 870 with a 28" barrel to finish out the season.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Browning4140 on April 23, 2016, 09:52:00 PM
So before this season started I was looking for a new dedicated turkey gun and decided on a Mossberg 835 ulti-mag. I shot it a few times and loved the way it patterned. But then ran into a issue, misfires. I posted on here about the problem and several people recommend a good deep cleaning of the action to remove any grease and also make sure the mag cap was screwed down tight and I did both, and the problem seemed to have gone away. Took it out this afternoon to try a new choke and "click". Even though it has a warranty I am done with Mossberg. I am not going to take a chance with this gun when it comes time to fill a tag. So does anyone have any recommendations in a different affordable turkey gun. Thought about checking out the 870 turkey gun with the 21" barrel. As for now I guess I will use my 870 with a 28" barrel to finish out the season.
I do understand the aggravation and frustration when a gun doesn't work as it should. I've had it happen.

That misfire problem with the 835 is normally caused by "gunk" in the bolt blocking the firing pin.

If you'll rest the gun on its butt and squirt some solvent/cleaner into the firing pin hole in the bolt and let it set for a bit, then dry fire the gun a few times and repeat the process, that should resolve the issue.

I use PrOlix for this process as it cleans well and then when it dries it leaves a dry lubricant on everything that will not attract dirt. One of my 835s had this problem and I did this to it about a year ago and it's not happened since.

I know it's hard to get your confidence in a gun back when it disappoints you but that 835 really is a good gun and if you'll do this, I believe it will take care of the problem.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Bowguy

If you're having misfires w new gun why haven't you called company? 835 aren't the prettiest but they are some of best turkey guns hands down

Longshanks

I understand being done with a gun. I had a Mossberg that did the same thing and this was a gun I kept clean and used only for turkey hunting. You can  have issues with almost any brand of shotgun but when it won't go bang that's a deal breaker for me. Remington 870 and Beretta shotguns have never let me down in terms of functionality. I've just had good luck with those guns. Not to put one brand against another but just my experience. We had several 870's that we duck hunted with in the 80's and 90's that we put through rough conditions. Short barrel entry level guns that were great for shooting in flooded timber. Hunted in waders and guns went under the water and directly in the mud all the time. Sprayed them out with a water hose several times, cleaned them and kept hunting. Those guns are still functioning great today.

RemingtonRules

I think the other posts are right. Problem is will you ever get back the confidence it will not happen at go time. Only you can decide that. I have been very pleased with my 870 23" version.

Life is too short and turkeys too scarce to deal with equipment issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

Friend from work had a mossburg 835 just do the same thing opening day in Missouri. Cost him a nice bird.
He said he cleaned it good.
He shot a few more rounds that afternoon and it went boom. Then once again click.
Oh boy.
But also what about aftermarket firing pin, springs or trigger parts?
I would imagine Clark has dealt with that in his line of expertise.
I have a moosburg o/u 20 that fires all the time , sometimes both barrels at once. Glad it was just doves and dove loads. Still missed some doves! lol

coyote1

I would try what Clark suggested before you give up on the gun. I had the same issue with my 500 years ago. I sprayed with rem oil and dry fired several times, sprayed with rem dri-lube and have not had another issue.

WildSpur

Confidence is key.  Unfortunate situation but I am sure this is rare. 

If you can't stand to see it anymore I will give you my address  8)   I will even cover shipping.   :D

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

SCDieselDawg

I'm hearing a lot of these stories when shooting Winchester Long Beards in the Mossberg 835s. I'm curious if that was the shell you were shooting.

Devastator

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on April 24, 2016, 02:03:52 PM
I'm hearing a lot of these stories when shooting Winchester Long Beards in the Mossberg 835s. I'm curious if that was the shell you were shooting.
I had a friend that had this happen to him last year with an 835 and longbeards,he is a member here and im sure he will see this post!

Browning4140

I have took the action apart after the first time I had this problem and cleaned the crap out of it to ensure there was no gunk in it. After I finished cleaning it I took it out and shot a box of cheap target loads and it worked like a champ, and I thought all was good with it. And then the other afternoon I am back in the same boat again. The first time it happened was with the long beard shells and have had a couple of the Winchester supremes misfire. When you look at the primer there is a slight firing pin mark on it but not enough to set it off. I can rechamber it and it will go off. I am going to send it back to Mossberg and have them figure it out. But once I get it back its on its way out the door. I guess I will just stick to my Remington for my turkey gun from here on out.

agent eight seven O

My new 835 done this exact same thing last summer. I also took Clark's advice and it worked for about a month. Failed again. Repeated process with CLP thoroughly and now good to go. Gave it another dose of CLP before season for assurance. Really is quite a bit of gunk that comes out of firing pin hole. Not 100% confident it will always fire, but call me crazy, for some reason the chance of it not going boom on a turkey kind of adds to the experience of the hunt. Just another reason to hunt him again. I just like this gun too much not to carry it.
I think if you stick with the cleaning it will be fine.

Planner

I had this problem with my Mossberg. I went around and around through cleaning, gunsmith working on it, etc. it would work, then not. Needless to say, it's in the gun safe and doesn't come out. I'll keep the gun for sentimental reasons but I won't buy another Mossberg. I've seen too many threads like this one to think it's an isolated incident. Sorry about your luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckeye_Strutter_935

my mossberg 935 failed me on a bird 2 years ago i still have the gun bc i truly love the pattern....but i now carry a stoeger m3500 and its leaps and bounds better on quality and performance and finish
Feathers Fear Me

Mike Honcho

Just wondering if any of you members that have had this problem tried replacing the firing pin with a new one?   I personally have not had this problem with an 835 so I don't know if it would fix or not but the part is inexpensive....might be worth a try.

I used to own an 835 (it would be about 5-6 years old now if I still had it).