OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Barrel length preference

Started by Browning4140, April 20, 2016, 11:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Va3toes

I like the 22 inch barrel on my 535 just fine.

winfila

I prefer 28" cause I'm hunting pastures and fields where I hunt and allows me to make 60+ yard shots. But as others have stated I catch a lot of branches when shouldered walking. If I'm pulling out a sneak on a bird just have to unshoulder it and hold in front of me. So Really Just Depends On Your Style Of Hunting And Where You Are Hunting.

Txag12

I shoot a 26 or 28, i think they loose their balance below 24...I'd do a 24 but that would be a min for me

Longshanks

21"-24" in the turkey woods. Seems to maneuver better and anything to lighten the gun in those situations where you have to hold the gun up for an extended period of time. Easier moving through the thick stuff when trying to set up on a gobbler in a hurry. Just accustomed to hunting with the shorter barrel.

BandedSpur

26" on repeaters and 28" on O/Us. A 28" O/U is shorter than a 26" repeater due to the length of the action. Like another poster, I hunt grouse in places way thicker than the places I turkey hunt and use the same gun I turkey hunt with, a 6 lb 12 ga O/U. No problems getting through the brush, and no problems holding up the light gun. I like the "free" velocity increase of a longer barrel and keeping the muzzle blast further from my ears. But I can understand the appeal of the shorter barrels for turkey guns when maneuvering in tight spaces while seated.

Terry

I use a 23" on my 12ga 870SM. Add another 1 to 1-1/2" for the choke. I think this is good compromise between the advantages of both longer and shorter barrels.

BINK McCARTY

There is a slight gain in velocity with a longer bbl......about 12-15 FPS/ INCH of bbl.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

laker

Both my shotguns that I have now, have a 26" barrel. The 26" seems to give the best patterns for me. If i have the choice of lengths I would keep the 26" on my nova and put a 24" on my 870. The 26" barrel is okay for run and gun but when I decide to hunt from a blind, it gets annoying. I believe overall with 24 or 26" is the best all around.

mspaci

dejake

Have shot 21 and 26, albeit different guns, but I prefer the 26 for pattern and balance.

WildSpur

My super mag with the 23 pipe is the longest I can go.  Really like my 835 the the 20" but it is not an 870.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less