OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Barrel length preference

Started by Browning4140, April 20, 2016, 11:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browning4140

I am currently using a mossberg 835 with a 24" barrel but am considering using my 870 some with a 28" barrel. In you opinion is there any major benefit over short vs long barrel.

turkey buster

I like a shorter barrel personally because to me it's easier to swing around on target. I've shot turkeys with 21,24,26,and 30in barrels. Longer might pattern somewhat better but the small loss of pattern is worth the short barrel to me in maneuverability

DirtNap647

THattaway

26" for me. Have hunted 18, 21, 24, 26, 28 and 30" guns. The more consistent/better pattern of the longer barrels I've experienced is worth more to me than a maneuverability advantage. The 18" Win 1300 was a pleasure tote for 25 toms but was always a very fickle patterner in spite of a bunch of $ dumped into and through it.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Mike Honcho

I am a 24" barrel guy...have been for many ,many years beginning with a 1970's era Franchi 48AL.

Currently own a BPS 10, Stoeger 3500 and Benelli  Super Black Eagle all 24".

I think its a good all around length...handles well, patterns well.

My .02

Tom Foolery

wmn2

24" is what I have right now and I couldn't imagine using a 26 or 28. I catch the 24 on almost every branch and tree already, I'd be breaking every branch and tree with any longer of a barrel.

maytom

Personal choice all the way. Any where between 21"-26" works for me.

mikejd

Shortest I can find. My 18 patterns well enough to take any bird within range. I am really not a field hunter mostly woods so I like the short guns for there manuverability.

WildTigerTrout

I have turkeys guns with barrels between 21" and 26". My favorite is 24" though.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Farmboy27

I like 24"-26". Shorter barrels are more maneuverable but I like the steadiness and sight plane of a slightly longer barrel. I hunt rabbits and grouse with a 26" barrel in way thicker places than I'll ever hunt turkeys and I guess I'm just used to moving the longer barrel around obstacles. It's all personal preferance and feel.

mrclif

I'm partial to my 18.5" Vinci kills em as dead as my 30" sticks.

coonhunter

I like 26" as well.  I carried a browning this year with a 30" and it hung on everything!  So I found that that 4" made a huge difference!
Joshua 24:15

mudhen

26-28, longer barrels pattern better...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Waynesworld23

I went from 24 to 21 in my 870 I like the shorter barrel and it throws a better pattern then my 24in barrel and I put a lot of shells through it before buying a new gun
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift