turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fed. Hw #7 Consistency? ?

Started by nyhunter, April 19, 2016, 12:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey buster

Good advice and info on this post. What OG should be about!!

Greg Massey

Are you just trying to get the best numbers with these shells, what about the holes in the pattern that's what i look for the most. I want the circle covered with shot. I don't really care so much about the numbers..i want the POI to be dead on .. i don't use a dot for sighting, i use a turkey head target with a circle around the turkey head.. i want my numbers in that head i guess is what i'm saying with no hole's around the turkey head. I put a small one inch circle middle way of the turkey target neck..But i'm using a scope on mine..

BowBendr

In my 870 a boresnake between shots helps, but not much. Long ribbons of plastic residue from the wad comes out in piles. For best results my gun must be kept squeaky clean between shots. A bronze brush and denatured alcohol does the best job. Also, make sure the bore is completely dry with patches after scrubbing. Any residue from anything left in the bore kills my pattern.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

nyhunter

I totally agree I want no holes in my pattern either , as I shoot and the bore gets dirty the holes seem to get bigger and more of them.   

Bowbender, so use the denture Alcohol  instead of a solvent like Hoppies?

dejake

Go Figure. I have an Affinity and a Carlsons .575.  I get my best count and pattern with a dirty barrel.

BowBendr

^^ Yes ^^
Its a tip I picked up from Del (Savduck). The alcohol disolves the plastic and then totally dries without any residue. I can see a difference in pattern density and evenness if I use other chemicals.

Greg Massey

Quote from: BowBendr on April 20, 2016, 01:59:03 PM
^^ Yes ^^
Its a tip I picked up from Del (Savduck). The alcohol disolves the plastic and then totally dries without any residue. I can see a difference in pattern density and evenness if I use other chemicals.

what kind of denature alcohol and were can i get it...

BowBendr

^^ Home Depot ^^
I get it there because I work there....I'm sure it can be found cheaper.

Greg Massey

Quote from: BowBendr on April 20, 2016, 05:46:50 PM
^^ Home Depot ^^
I get it there because I work there....I'm sure it can be found cheaper.

thanks

sswv

don't get me wrong, I really like this ammo and it shoots GREAT in my 21" 870 BUT, this inconsistency problem with folks should not exist.  For the price of this ammo it should perform flawless with a clean or mildly dirty barrel. I know how a really dirty barrel can affect patterns but DANG, cleaning between every shot just so you can keep an even pattern is a bit much.  when I tested it I ran a brush and swab thru the barrel after every 3rd shot and everything worked good for me.   really sorry to hear folks having problems. maybe a call to Federal would shine some light on the problem.

jus my 2cts

wvmntnhick

I rarely clean between shots. Now, I didn't count the numbers but at 40 yards from my 20 ga 11-87, it's more the adequate. I'm betting near the 180's with a pure gold .555 choke. Heck, with my 835 and the TSS, my patterns have improved as the barrel gets dirtier. It will eventually hit the point of diminishing return but until then, I'm not touching it.

briton

I was wondering about consistency today myself. I also have a Trulock for hw7 and did some patterning today with the 20ga for the first time. I started with a brushed and clean barrel and dry patched 3-4 times between shots. 1st shot was 134, second was 184, third  was 78, fourth 101, fifth 126. I shot from a rifle rest. I noticed while dry patching between shots that a lot of "skin like" pieces of plastic coming out and sticking to the inside of the barrel. Maybe the plastic residue is causing inconsistencies?

turkey buster

I shot 147 today and ran the soft brush through it 5-6 times and got 118. Ran a bore snake and then a dab of hopps on a cleaning patch and ran 7-8 dry patches and shot 144. U have to really get that thing clean or it drops a lot. I mean for a one shot kill it's not bad but if you needed follow up shots it falls apart

chatterbox

Quote from: RAJ on April 19, 2016, 03:42:18 PM
For whatever reason chokes also seem to need breaking in to some extent. The ones that start out good usually stay good or get better or more consistent.
It would not hurt a thing to shoot a box of field load shells first and then clean the choke before patterning it with turkey loads.
This^^^^^^
My SSX shoots better and better the more shells she eats!

yella yelper

Quote from: turkey buster on April 22, 2016, 10:01:14 PM
I shot 147 today and ran the soft brush through it 5-6 times and got 118. Ran a bore snake and then a dab of hopps on a cleaning patch and ran 7-8 dry patches and shot 144. U have to really get that thing clean or it drops a lot. I mean for a one shot kill it's not bad but if you needed follow up shots it falls apart
This has been my experience as well. I shoot a 148 and on the 6th shot with no cleaning, I got 103. Cleaned it and went hunting again.