turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fed. Hw #7 Consistency? ?

Started by nyhunter, April 19, 2016, 12:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyhunter

Is any one else seeing consistency  variances  with these shells? Here's  one example from last weekend's  patterning session.  Turlock Fed.HW  #7 choke. First shot,170  second shot, 148  Third shot,75. And that wasn't  a miss print that's was 75. I have a had very similar results from 3 other chokes.

nyhunter

I forgot to add that I was shooting at 32x32 paper  and circling the densest  part of the pattern. All shot were at a measured 40yds.

JHoyle

Did u clean in between shots? If not I'd say the inconsistency is coming from a dirty barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkey buster

I too have seen the biggest issue with these shells being dirty barrels. IMO these shells leave a dirtier barrel than most

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: turkey buster on April 19, 2016, 12:38:22 PM
I too have seen the biggest issue with these shells being dirty barrels. IMO these shells leave a dirtier barrel than most
They do.  You run a patch after a shot and it comes out black with crud all over it.

I have seen some big variations as well. Even my most consistent choke out of my 870 Youth, the Carlsons .575 has dropped off into the 110's a couple times. But usually shoots from 140-157 range.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Cleveland48

I have had them go everywhere
from a low of 100 to a high of 176

nyhunter

The first few rounds of patterning I bore snaked  between shots, I always cleaned it when I switched chokes.   Did you Bronz brush with some type solvent, then dry patch till it was clean, then shoot again?

R AJ

For whatever reason chokes also seem to need breaking in to some extent. The ones that start out good usually stay good or get better or more consistent.
It would not hurt a thing to shoot a box of field load shells first and then clean the choke before patterning it with turkey loads.

JHoyle

I usually deep clean before patterning and then bore snake between every shot. Stays pretty consistent.

TauntoHawk

shot them for the first time this weekend went shot at great 25yd pattern, bore snaked got 157 @ 40, cleaned with a single patch followed by bore snake got 175, did nothing and got a horrible pattern less than 100. I'll keep a clean barrel with these going forward.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Cleveland48

I have to keep a clean barrel myself. If I let it get dirty it goes to around 100 in the 10"

Ridge Rooster

I usually bore snake between rounds but the other day I thought I would try one through a dirty bore and got the best pellet count so far. Go figure. It was on the 3rd shot after trying a #6 Federal Flight Control, then a Seven that got in the 120's, then the third shot with the 7's and got 167.

I have only shot 5 of these shells so far and get 120's to 160's.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Greg Massey

Does it help to just shoot a target load shell to help clean the barrel after shooting one of those Fed hw 7 ?

nyhunter

you guys that are cleaning between each shot are you doing a full cleaning job with solvent bronz brush, dry patch, ?  amd do clean the choke also?   I'm thinking my gun is one of those that like's to be squeaky clean.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: nyhunter on April 20, 2016, 06:13:03 AM
you guys that are cleaning between each shot are you doing a full cleaning job with solvent bronz brush, dry patch, ?  amd do clean the choke also?   I'm thinking my gun is one of those that like's to be squeaky clean.

what i've done in the past is a dry bore snake between each shot and every 3rd I run a single patch or maybe 2 of rubbing alcohol then the bore snake. the alcohol cleans up the major stuff and drys quick.

I'll check back to see what others say though.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>