OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Game Ears

Started by tha bugman, April 18, 2016, 11:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

A few questions to those who use them:
1) what kind do you use?
2) do you have issues with direction and distance when using them?

maytom

Been curious myself!!

Marc

I have tried the Walker's at a trap shoot.

I could not tell direction, but could hear people talking a long ways off (I could easily hear normal conversation from 100 yards away)....  When I opened the action of my gun, it sounded like something had broken in a big way.

My buddy tried them for turkey hunting a few years back, and he said he could hear gobbling a long ways off, but could not tell the direction.  Also said when the bird walked in on him, the footsteps in the dry leaves sounded like the whole Russian army was coming...  When he finally saw the bird, it was about 100 yards off, but sounded like it was in his lap.

My understanding is that discerning direction is difficult but gets better with practice.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

lowoctane

I have a set called "Action Ears". Sadly, the co that made them is not in business any longer. They are incredible! Everything you described except I can tell direction. Plus, they clip at high decibal levels so as not to blow yer ears out! They are a necessity for me in the woods! :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Oconeeguy

Lowoctane is right. I have a inexpensive pair of Howard Leigh brand I got at Academy a Sports several years ago. They REally Inhance sounds, but determining direction takes practice. Got them when I had a 20" barreled 535 that made my ears ring every time I shot it, except when I had the muffs on. A handy invention that I have to use due to hearing loss.

Devastator

I have the howard light impact sports and love them,even while shooting.

Jim K

I have Walker game ear II. I started with one in my left ear. I couldn't tell directions at all. I had a couple people tell me I needed two. I got the second one and that helps a lot. Sometimes I still have trouble telling directions. I found a big help was not to use to much volumn just enough to help if that makes sense. Also, I had custom made ear pieces made as I did not like the roll up one that come with them. They were always working their way out.
I don't go in the woods without them. I can hear so much better. I use them deer, squirrel and especially turkey hunting.
Wind is a pain with them but they help me so much that I put up with it.
If you have hearing loss I strongly recommend them. If you don't, please protect your hearing. To much shotgun shooting when I was young with no protection has cost me but my game ears help a lot.

Cottonmouth

I need some myself. My left ear is about done and I can't tell directions worth anything. I can't tell how many times I have gone in the wrong direction when I hear a single gobble. You young guys need to take care of your hearing.

sixbird

I have a pair. One is Game Ear II. One is an older, lesser model. They have been a boon for me since I have a genetic hearing deficiency. The Game Ear II is the only one I could find that had the decibel enhancement to enhance my hearing enough to be even remotely useful.
Hearing direction can be problematic. I put both ears in and snap my fingers from side to side, with my eyes closed. I can get a fair sense of direction by increasing or decreasing the volume in each individual ear until they're balanced. It's not like natural stereophonic hearing but it's fairly good.
That said, without those Game Ears, I wouldn't hear a gobbler at 200 yards. Just wouldn't happen...Game Ears have been a god send for me!